just diagnosed

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 4 replies
  • 60 subscribers

Greetings friends. I’ve recently been diagnosed and it’s reassuring to experience the professional treatment I’m receiving from the NHS which immediately kicked in. I really appreciate joining this community and also reassuring to see I’m not alone with my challenges and your shared experiences are invaluable to me. Oddly enough, to me, I find my biggest concern at this stage is not my future health but my immediate and ongoing financial predicament. For the first time in my long career I’m unemployed, no income, savings exhausted and about to navigate the benefits system to hopefully alleviate my predicament at least in the short term. Macmillan are a great support in this area for which I am very grateful for. I’m appalled to read some of the experiences members of this community have been subjected to through this process and only hope you can find the strength to achieve your deserved outcome. 
I wondered if there was a link anyone could share that lays out a navigation path that could help folks like us find a successful route through the process. 
Many thanks for welcoming me. 
AuldScot

• Hi and a very warm welcome to the online community

I'm glad to hear that you're happy with the treatment you're receiving from the NHS since your diagnosis. If you felt able to tell me what type of cancer you have I could point you in the direction of one of the groups here where you can ask questions about what to expect from your treatment, etc as well as share experiences and support from other community members with the same type of cancer. Alternatively, if you click here you can look through the different groups and join the one that is relevant to you.

Having a cancer diagnosis the last thing you want to worry about is money and I'm glad that you have already spoken to Macmillan about this. You might find this information on benefits and other financial support useful.

When you have a minute it would be really useful if could pop something about your journey so far into your profile as it helps others when answering or looking for someone with a similar diagnosis. It also means that you don't have to keep repeating yourself. To do this click on your username and then select 'Edit Profile'. You can amend it at any time and if you're not sure what to write you can take a look at mine by clicking on my username.

x

Community Champion Badge

What is a Community Champion?

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"
  • Hi  and welcome to the Online Community from another Scot - Mike , although I am sorry to see you finding us.

The benefit system requires professional help so:

You may find our various Macmillan Support Line Services to be helpful - call them on 0808 808 00 00 This free service covers Emotional Support, Practical Information. Clinical Information, Financial Support and Work Guidance mostly open 8.00 to 8.00 but check the link.

Talking to people face to face can help a lot so check to see if you have any Local Macmillan Support in your area or a Maggie’s Centre as these folks are amazing.

Citizens Advice

Talking with people who are on the same journey can help a lot. You don't say what type of cancer you have but we do have lots of support groups that are Cancer specific.

Just follow the link above, have a look through the groups and once you find the best one that fits your type of cancer hit ‘Join the Group’ tab just under the main group name, then go to the 'Start a Discussion' tab and set up your own Discussion and introduce yourself to the group.

Our Online Information and Support Section  is a good place to find information covering cancer diagnosis, treatments and pages covering most types of cancers.

When you feel up to it try putting some information in your profile. This really helps others when answering. It also means that you don't have to keep repeating yourself. Just click on YOUR username, select 'Edit Profile'. Put as much or as little in your profile and you can amend it at any time - you can see members profiles by hitting our forum names.

All the best.

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to latchbrook

Many thanks for your kind and helpful response latchbrook. I’ll update my profile and outline my diagnosis and journey to date. AuldScott

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Thehighlander

Hi Mike Thehighlander, many thanks for your kind and helpful advice. I’ll update my profile now with details of my diagnosis and journey thusfar. Kind regards Lex the AuldScot fae Edinburgh.