My Grandad

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 3 replies
  • 58 subscribers

Hi everyone, 

My Grandad has previously had mouth cancer, had the all clear then unfortunately he has been given under 6 months as the cancer has come back. 

I think it’s fair to say I don’t know how to cope. My Grandad is my world and the only man who has been there for my during my 33 years. 

How can I get through this...? How can I stay strong for him? 

• Hello , I’m sorry to hear about your Grandad’s prognosis, I can understand how your questioning how you will cope. It’s not nice news to hear, to put it mildly, and it would send anyone a bit of kilter. You have done well to find the community, completed your profile and joined the friends and family group. A prognosis is only a statistical expectation so I’m hoping your Grandad will have longer, and that you are able to make some nice memories for you both. 

There will be times when the support of people who know what your going through will really help so I hope you introduce yourself to the friends and family group and take a browse through the information and support pages, perhaps the links below will be helpful, as well as the experience of others.

https://www.macmillan.org.uk/information-and-support/coping/your-emotions/someone-close-has-cancer

https://www.macmillan.org.uk/information-and-support/coping/talking-about-cancer/if-someone-has-cancer

Best wishes

Take care KT

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to KTatHome

Hi KT, 

Thank you for your response. It’s just so hard! I’m always the strong one... the one who holds everything/one together and I just think it’s all got on top of me. Hopefully he will live longer but he has so many other ailments one can only but wonder. I’m popping down next weekend to see him. I can’t wait xx 

• I know it’s hard, and it’s really important to take care of yourself as well as your Grandad, and it’s what the site is for to give support when it’s needed. Enjoy the time with him, and make some time for you to recharge your batteries so you’re not running on empty. My go to stress buster is walking I hope you find what works for you. 
    when it gets a bit much you can offload here or ask about things that are bothering you or for suggestions for things, and people will tell you what worked for them. 
    I hope your Grandad is coping as well as he can at the moment.

best wishes xx

Take care KT