Lipo sarcoma in an older person

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 1 reply
  • 58 subscribers

My gran has just been diagnosed with lipo sarcoma which is attached to a kidney. She is in excellent health and 89 years old. The consultant says it is surgery or nothing. A kidney scan is required to determine whether the remaining kidney could cope. Also another CT scan as she had a chest infection when last done 2 months ago. My gran is very reluctant to have sugery even if the scans are favourable as she fears not being the same person again. She has no pain and is very active, plays piano for a ballet school and lives alone without requiring support. I would appreciate any thoughts people may have particularly from someone of similar age or their relative.

• Hi and welcome to the online community although I'm sorry you've had to find us.

It must be very frightening for your gran to be told that she needs to have surgery and I can understand that she'd be worried that she might not be the same person afterwards. 

Could I suggest that you join the soft tissue sarcoma group where you could post your question. I'm sure the members there will be able to offer both their experience and support.

To join just click on the link I've created and then choose 'join this group' on the page that opens. You can then post your question after selecting 'start a discussion' and join in with existing conversations by clicking on 'reply'.

When you have a minute it would be really useful if could pop something about your gran's journey so far into your profile as it helps others when answering or looking for someone with a similar diagnosis. It also means that you don't have to keep repeating yourself. To do this click on your username and then select 'Edit Profile'. You can amend it at any time and if you're not sure what to write you can take a look at mine by clicking on my username.

x

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"