• 2 replies
  • 51 subscribers

Hello everyone i have just joined your community forum on the advice of a friend. I am a 57year old family man lawyer by profession. I was diagnosed early June 2019 with rectal cancer tumour 6cm 10-12cm up the rectum. It came as a shock and the next few weeks were difficult for me and my family since i had very little understanding. Cancer is a life taking disease so all sorts if thoughts were going around in my thoughts.

The scans confirmed no spreads and i was told straight surgery which i agreed as i did not fully understand the complications attached. The surgrey was cancelled at the last minute and i was adviced to have pre surgrey treatment of radiotherapy and chemotherapy for 5 weeks. I am now starting the third week and so far everything is managable. I have done alot of research and reading to understand things better. I understand from other people experience that if you get a good response from the pre surgrey treatment the tumour can disappear and if biopsies are clear you can go on wait and watch etc:

In addittion people have had Papillion treatment which has been successful and avoids complicated surgrey and having a temporary or permanent stoma. After understanding the illness i have decided i dont want to go down the standard NHS route of surgrey. Any advice or information from members from their experience will be welcomed. Regards Stan

• Hi Stan  and welcome to the Online Community, although I am sorry to see you finding us.

A cancer diagnosis can bring a lot of stress, confusion and questions on you and the family but talking with people who are on the same journey can help a lot.

Can I direct you to this links to our Bowel (colon and rectum) cancer Forum where you will connect with people who understand the journey you are on. You can ask the folks questions about tests, treatments and what to expect during the months ahead.

Follow the link above and join the group by hitting the ‘Join the Group’ tab just under the main group name and it is worth indicating how you want to receive email notifications when someone answers your posts.

Go to the 'Start a Discussion' tab just under the main group name and set up your own Discussion and introduce yourself to the group - you could just copy an paste what you have in this first post.

You may find our various Macmillan Support Line Services to be helpful - call them on 0808 808 00 00This free service covers Emotional Support, Practical Information. Clinical Information, Financial Support and Work Guidance mostly open 8.00 to 8.00 but check the link.

We also have our ‘Ask an Expert’. section where you can post questions to our mostly Volunteer Experts but please allow 2 working days to get a reply.

Our Online Information and Support Section  is a good place to find information covering cancer diagnosis, treatments and pages covering most types of cancers.

All the very best.

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• Thank you for the message and information. 

Stan