Travel insurance

• 3 replies
  • 62 subscribers

hello. My son David has just been diagnosed with terminal pancreatic cancer. He has decided against palliative chemo and we want to make the most of the time he has while he as as well as possible.

Our eldest son lives in USA with his family and we want to take David for a visit very soon. 

Has anyone any advice about travel insurance companies who may be helpful?

I would appreciate any guidance, perhaps there has been online discussions about this before and you could help me find it.

thank you

• Hi davidzmum and so terribly sorry to hear about your son. What a wonderful idea to spend time with his brother and to have family together. If you just type travel insurance into the search bar you will find lots of good advice.

• Hi  and welcome to the online community

I'm sorry to hear that your son has been diagnosed with pancreatic cancer but that sounds like a great trip that you all want to go on.

Unfortunately,  it can be more difficult to find travel insurance when you have had a cancer diagnosis so can I suggest that you join the travel insurance group where you can find recommendations from others who have obtained travel insurance.

To join just click on the link I've created and then choose 'join this group' on the page that opens. Once you have joined look for the thread called 'Recommended Travel Insurance' as it's where we try to keep recommendations from other forum members who have obtained travel insurance. It's usually on the opening page.

It is best to phone the travel companies rather than try and do online quotes. Make sure you have all the information to hand about your son's diagnosis and treatment before contacting the insurers. This is a list of common questions that insurers might ask when you're applying for insurance.

Some insurers will ask for a letter from the doctor to prove that they have given permission to travel. In any case it's always best to check with the doctor that it's okay to travel and that this has been recorded in your notes.

I do hope that you can get travel insurance for your son and that you have a great trip.

x

Community Champion Badge

What is a Community Champion?

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"
  • Thank you so much for the good, practical advice.

i did find the link after a bit of exploring and next week will begin contacting the companies that others have had success with. First though, I will arm myself with doctors letters and all the information I can muster.

i have to give a sincere vote of thanks to MacMillan and this Community. It is somewhere to ask advice on questions no one ever wants to have to ask. 

Many thanks 

Davidzmum