Husbands cancer

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 2 replies
  • 57 subscribers

Hi,

I am hoping someone can tell me if 6 -7 weeks after treatment stops of radiotherapy if its normal for the person to just plummet. My husband has small cell lung cancer, and has had several chemo and radio'. He seemed to be perking up 2 weeks ago, then we went to the review meeting and since then he has been off food where as it was getting better. He is shuffling around in pjs all day, looking thinner and weaker. He has started to eat a little bit more the last two days. He was told his throat soreness was to be expected and has liquid painkillers. The dr was happy when he saw him. Inititally I thought we had picked up a bit of a virus but its now becoming a worry 2 weeks on. His hand was shaking trying to use a fork to eat.earlier today. 

He is 52.

He has spent this last fortnight sleeping a lot, but prior to that he was beginning to think about doing activities and making the most of his free time.

I'm not sure if its the treatment at full hilt, or he's depressed, or both, or he does have a virus. 

Its upsetting to see him like this, for myself and our children.

Any advice? 

• Hi  and welcome to the Online Community, although I am sorry to see you finding us and so sorry to hear about the problems your husband is having.

Any cancer diagnosis brings a lot of stress and confusion but talking with people who are on the same journey can help a lot and will reduce the whirlwind wind that is rushing in your head.

My cancer journey was rather different but treatment is a rollercoaster and I can totally understand the issues he is having.

You may like to follow this link to Lung Cancer Forums where you will connect with people who understand the journey your husband is on. You can ask the folks questions about tests, treatments and what to expect during the months ahead.

Follow the link above and join the group by hitting the ‘Join the Group’ tab just under the main group name. At this point select how you want to receive email notifications when someone answers your posts.

You can either go to the 'Start a Discussion' tab just under the main group name. Set up your own Discussion and introduce yourself to the group - you could just copy an paste what you have in this first post. You can also have a look through the various threads by going into the ‘Discussions’ section.

We also have these forums where you can connect with others supporting family and friends through their cancer journey: Carers Forum  and Friends and Family Forum

You may find our various Macmillan Support Line Services to be helpful - call them on 0808 808 00 00 This free service covers Emotional Support, Practical Information. Clinical Information, Financial Support and Work Guidance mostly open 8.00 to 8.00 but check the link.

We also have our ‘Ask an Expert’. section where you can post questions to our mostly Volunteer Experts but please allow 2 working days to get a reply.

When you feel up to it try putting some information in your profile. This really helps others when answering. It also means that you don't have to keep repeating yourself. Just click on YOUR username, select 'Edit Profile'. Put as much or as little in your profile and you can amend it at any time - you can see members profiles by hitting our forum names.

All the very best.

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi there, I recently lost my dad to sclc back in June 2019. He was initially diagnosed December 2018 and he had 6 rounds or chemo and some radio as his cancer had spread to the bones and liver he was diagnosed at stage 4. The chemo went well and he was doing well. He stopped chemo April and within 6 weeks he started to deteriate rapidly. My advice would be to ask for a scan before your husband gets to weak for a scan. They wouldn't do anything for my dad because he got so poorly. At the end he wouldn't eat or drink and he slept all the time. He went into the hospice and died the next day. My advice would be to get help now and gets scans to have any possible treatment. Hope it goes OK it's such a hard thing to go through 

Rachel