Distant boyfriend

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 2 replies
  • 58 subscribers

Hello. I'm new and don't know where to start. My mum was diagnosed with stage 4 lung cancer which has spread to her hip and lymph nodes in her neck. She's been waiting four weeks for results to determine best course of treatment and there are constant delays. Mum will start radiotherapy tomw for one high dose to the hip as this is causing pain. Then hopefully results will be back in two weeks time for chemo to start. I'm not local to my mum and I don't drive. My sister isn't local to me or mum. My brother is local to mum but my sister and I are not on good terms with him. I live alone and work full time. I have a boyfriend. I've been feeling very overwhelmed since mums diagnosis and cry most days. She's been told it's not curable. My boyfriend was supportive when I first found out, but now he is becoming distant and pulling away. We recently had an argument where he told me that he is finding it all stressful. I appreciate that he needs to care for his own mental health, but I can't help but feel let down and disappointed. I've also been off work for a few months as had a hip replacement 10 weeks ago and I am worried about returning to work at the start of July and being there for mum too. Has anyone else had the same experience from their significant others in this situation? I feel maybe I've dropped the ball in my relationship because I've been so focused on mum and my own worries that I've not noticed my boyfriend has been affected too (although he isn't close to my mum. He's only met her a few times) 

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi and welcome to your new best friends...

I’m truly sorry to hear your mum’s diagnosis, my wife has stage 4 terminal cancer so I understand the pain you feel for your mum. You sound like you have so much to deal with and in no way should you think that “ you’ve dropped the ball” regards your relationship. Doing as much as you do, and still being there for her is a huge achievement. 

The effects of Cancer affects everyone in different ways, emotions run high and everyone will say and do strange things when trying to deal with it. Has he said how he finds it stressful? Is it how to talk to you about it?

I’ve found using the McMillan team ( phone) really helpful. They listen without judgement and can give you that vital lifeline when you most need it. The forums on here are also an excellent source of support, you’ll find many people feeling the same and sharing really helps. Although you live alone, please remember that you are never alone- there is always someone there for you. It’s key that you look after yourself as well, make sure you have “ me” time to allow yourself time to heal and rebuild. 

Whatever you think at any time,    You are doing a great job being there for your mum as often as you do, so please keep your faith up and stay strong. 

The community is here with you

Si 

• Hi , welcome to the online community, I’m sorry to hear of your Mums diagnosis, and how upset your feeling at the moment. It sounds like the one person you wanted to lean on isn’t able to give you the support you are looking for at the moment, and for other reasons you aren’t able to get the help you want from your siblings. I’m asking myself though if you are asking for help for you to deal with how upset you are about your Mums cancer diagnosis, or are you looking for help to help your relationship with your boyfriend? They might be a bit intertwined as you seem to have a lot going on at the moment with your op and returning to work.

I was wondering about your boyfriend and about ‘Relate’ as they are the UK’s biggest provider of relationship support through information and counselling sessions. You can speak to advisers on their helpline 0300 100 1234 or find details of your nearest Relate office here.

As individuals we all have our own strengths and weaknesses, and perhaps your boyfriend has some struggles of his own, or has no experience with how to help you, so I was thinking that the friends and family group will know what you are going through with regards to how you feel about your mother and might be better placed to help you.

I’ve put the link below for you to click on.

https://community.macmillan.org.uk/cancer_experiences/being_a_relative_/discussions

I don’t have the right personal experience to help but I hope I can help point you to someone who may.

Take care KT