Oesophageal cancer

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 12 replies
  • 57 subscribers

I'm 53 years young and I was diagnosed with oesophageal cancer at Easter this year 2019. I was devestated as I've always been a fit individual who has never been in hospital since I was 5 years old. It's really rocked the family and myself of course. It's been a totally bewildering rollercoaster since easter.. Pet ct scans.. Endoscopic ultrasound.. Laparoscopy procedure and having a Picc line fitted has really frightened me but in my mindset I've got to roll with it and get on with whatever comes my way. I know that my tumour is operable so this is my goal now. I start chemo on Wednesday next week and I'm petrified to say the least.. I've only ever had paracetamol in my life and the thought of all these medicines being put in my body is scaring me.. Once chemo starts I'm hoping I'm well and I can get back to my job and get my sanity back. 

Paul

• Hi Paul  and welcome to the Online Community, although I am so sorry to see the circumstance that brought you here and so sorry to hear you are starting treatment for oesophageal cancer.

A cancer diagnosis can bring a lot of stress on a family but talking with people who are on the same journey will help a lot.

My cancer journey was rather different but I did have a PICC Line and few Hickman Lines for many months and had no problem with them and it reduces the need for lots on needles in your arms.

You may like to follow this link to our Gullet (oesophagus) cancer Forum where you will connect with people who understand the journey your are on. You can ask the folks questions about treatments, what to expect.

Follow the link and join the group. To do this hit the ‘Join the Group’ tab just under the main group name. At this point go to the right on the group home page and select how you want to receive email notifications when someone answers your posts. If in the future you don’t want to receive notifications just switch off the email notifications tab.

The BEST WAY to get support is to go to the 'Start a Discussion' tab just under the main group name. Set up your own Discussion and Introduce yourself to the group - you could just copy an paste what you have in this first post.

Have a look through our various Macmillan Support Line Services then call them on 0808 808 00 00 to be very helpful covering Emotional Support and Practical Information. Clinical Information and Financial Support and Work Guidance mostly open 8.00 to 8.00 but check the link.

We also have our ‘Ask an Expert’section where you can post questions to our mostly Volunteer Experts but please allow 2 working days to get a reply.

We also have our Online Information and Support Section where you will find some great pages covering the cancer diagnosis, treatment and information pages covering most types of cancers.

Talking to people face to face can help a lot so check to see if you have any Local Macmillan Support Groups in your area or a Maggie’s Centre as these folks are amazing.

It is worth putting some information in your profile. This really helps others when answering. It also means that you don't have to keep repeating yourself.

To do this click on YOUR username, look to the left and select 'Edit Profile'. Put as much or as little in your profile and you can amend it at any time - REMEMBER hit the big green SAVE before you leave the page. If you're not sure what to write you can take a look at any members profiles by clicking on their username.

All the best.

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi Paul I was diagnosed with oesophageal cancer on 17th May 2019 so know exactly how you feel. I get to see the oncologists in the next week or so. You describe exactly how I feel. Hope your treatment goes well. 

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

Firstly I'm so sorry to hear this.. Has it been found early? It's the most worst feeling in the world to sit there and be told I have cancer.. My world is just totally rocked. But being strong gets us through as best we can. I start my first cycle of chemotherapy and I can't believe to tell you how frightened I am about it. The maccmillan nurses are so lovely and there helping me through this and I'm working with them. This is the most frightening part of my life.. Just wanna get through the next couple of days to see how I feel and maybe back to work to get some dam sanity back. Please keep in touch with me and I will vise versa. Best wishes... Paul 

• FormerMember

Hi Paul, I get full results this week, but so far I have been told that my tumour is stage 2.  I have also been told that I will need chemo then surgery (if I am fit enough for it). So hopefully soon I will find out when chemo is due to start.  I have had a few bad days but I think I am finally accepting that I have this problem and I have decided that I am going to fight it. I am frightened just like you are but I don't think I would be normal if I wasn't.  Good luck with your first bout of chemo, I really hope it goes well for you.  I will of course keep in touch and look forward to hearing how you are doing.  All the very best …. Ruth

• FormerMember

Hi Ruth... Thankyou for sharing this I know how hard it is to speak about it as I found it so difficult to even say the word Cancer. Like you Ruth we are fighters and we can get past this blip cause that's all it is. I had my first cycle of chemo yesterday and to say the least I was so so scared.. But I have to say the nurses are absolutely lovely and it's so relaxed and friendly it was actually a lovely afternoon.. I spent most of the day watching films on my laptop while the nurses were changing chemo bags and letting them run. I was frightened about reactions but so far so good I'm fine.. Have a red face but that's due to the steroids I guess things have different reactions to each person and not everyone gets them. I've got 3 more cycles of chemo to have then my operation will be done then a follow up 4 cycles of chemo then fingers crossed I'm free.. I can't wait for that day.. I just have to keep strong from now on.

I hope everything goes well Ruth and please keep in touch.. Hopefully I can answer any questions you may have with my experience so far.. Be positive 

• FormerMember

Hi Paul,

Sp pleased to hear that your first chemo went well. You are so right how hard it is to say the word Cancer.   I am hoping I will feel better once I have seen the oncologist and surgeon tomorrow.  All the very best and I will send you another message tomorrow :)

• FormerMember

Hi Ruth.. I hope everything goes OK for you tomo when you see the oncologist and surgeon.. Keep that chin up Thumbsup speak soon

Paul

• FormerMember

Hi Paul, Thanks for your kind message.  I hope you keep your chin up too - chat soon :) Ruth

• FormerMember

Hi Paul, sadly today didn't go as well as I had hoped, the surgeon I saw told me that I have a 60% chance of being alive in 5 years, so not anywhere near as good as I had hoped.  I have another appointment next Wednesday to finally decide on what course of treatment to follow.  

Hope you are doing well

Ruth 

• FormerMember

Keep positive Ruth.. That was obviously not the out come you were hoping for after seeing the surgeon but you have to remain strong and don't give in.  See how the next appointment goes next Wednesday and keep that chin up. I'm not too bad feel a bit wiped out at the moment but that's obviously the Chemo.. Feeling a bit sick this morning but it Where's off. Planning to return to work Monday all being well.  Keep me posted Ruth