Just need friends

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 1 reply
  • 57 subscribers

Hi everyone, 

i was diagnosed with breast cancer in February 2019. I’m 43, my sister died of breast cancer & my mum is in remission from breast cancer. I have had 4 cycles of chemo & are booked for a double mastectomy in June. I have a wonderful, loving, caring & supportive family. I have 2 beautiful children. 

Thpugh I have so much support from my family I feel I lost my best friend as soon as I was diagnosed & that kills me every day. There is a lot I can’t talk to my family about because we’ve all been through so much in the past I don’t want to worry them. I have always been the strong one in the family & always reassuring everyone but i feel so alone myself. 

I have been a single parent for most of my life so learnt to deal with things on my own but for the first time in my life I feel like I am broken inside but with a big smile on the outside. I know I’m just babbling on but I didn’t know where else to turn to.

Thank you for listening to me x

• Hi  and welcome to the Online Community, although I am so sorry to see the circumstance that brought you here and so sorry to hear you have been diagnosed with breast cancer.

As you know a cancer diagnosis can bring a lot of stress on a family but talking with people who are on the same journey will help a lot.

As my cancer journey was rather different you may like to follow this link to our Breast cancer and our Breast cancer for the under-50s forums where you will connect with people who understand the journey you are on. You can ask the folks questions about treatments, what to expect and how to look after yourself during this time.

Follow the link and join the group. To do this hit the ‘Join the Group’ tab just under the main group name. At this point go to the right on the group home page and select how you want to receive email notifications when someone answers your posts. If in the future you don’t want to receive notifications just switch off the email notifications tab.

You can look through all the discussions in the forum by hitting the ‘Discussions’ tab. But the BEST WAY to get support is to go to the 'Start a Discussion' tab just under the main group name. Set up your own Discussion and Introduce yourself to the group - you could just copy an paste what you have in this first post.

Have a look through our various Macmillan Support Line Services then call them on 0808 808 00 00 to be very helpful covering Emotional Support and Practical Information. Clinical Information and Financial Support and Work Guidance mostly open 8.00 to 8.00 but check the link.

We also have our ‘Ask an Expert’ section where you can post questions to our mostly Volunteer Experts but please allow 2 working days to get a reply.

Talking to people face to face can help a lot so check to see if you have any Local Macmillan Support Groups in your area or a Maggie’s Centre as these folks are amazing.

All the best with your treatment and a big  ((hug))

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge