Stress of having cancer

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 3 replies
  • 57 subscribers

Hi,

I am writing this post on behalf of my mother. She has breast cancer and is due her third cycle of chemo next week. She finds the stress a lot and is struggling to deal with it. Any ideas on what can help?

Thanks

• Hi  welcome to the Online Community, although I am so sorry to see the circumstance that brought you here and so sorry to hear about your mum.

Cancer and stress go hand in hand and everyone will deal with it in their own way. I have lived with my cancer for 20 years now and my wife and I decided to embrace the journey and not let my illness define us - but our Strength and Courage did.

This is a hard time for your mum, you and all of the family but talking with people who are on the same journey will help a lot.

As my cancer journey was rather different you may like to follow this link to our Breast cancer forum where you will connect with people who understand the journey your mum is on. You can ask the folks questions about treatments, what to expect and how to help her during this time.

Follow the link and join the group. To do this hit the ‘Join the Group’ tab just under the main group name. At this point go to the right on the group home page and select how you want to receive email notifications when someone answers your posts. If in the future you don’t want to receive notifications just switch off the email notifications tab.

You can look through all the discussions in the forum by hitting the ‘Discussions’ tab. But the BEST WAY to get support is to go to the 'Start a Discussion' tab just under the main group name. Set up your own Discussion and Introduce yourself to the group - you could just copy an paste what you have in this first post.

We also have these forums where you can connect with others supporting family and friends through their cancer journey: Carers Forum and Friends and Family Forum

You may find our various Macmillan Support Line Services on 0808 808 00 00 to be very helpful covering Emotional Support and Practical Information. Clinical Information and Financial Support and Work Guidance mostly open 8.00 to 8.00 but check the link.

We also have our ‘Ask an Expert’section where you can post questions to our mostly Volunteer Experts but please allow 2 working days to get a reply.

Talking to people face to face can help a lot so check to see if you have any Local Macmillan Support Groups in your area or a Maggie’s Centre as these folks are amazing.

It is worth putting some information in your profile. This really helps others when answering. It also means that you don't have to keep repeating yourself.

To do this click on YOUR username, look to the left and select 'Edit Profile'. Put as much or as little in your profile and you can amend it at any time - REMEMBER hit the big green SAVE before you leave the page. If you're not sure what to write you can take a look at any members profiles by clicking on their username.

All the best.

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi

Mike has given you some great pointers for getting the most out of the community so I won’t add to that. 

Just to say that it’s really stressful going through chemo. I’m on my third time with chemo since 2014 and the thing that’s helped me most is using the Headspace meditation app. Ten minutes a day really makes a difference for me. 

I hope your mum finds something that works for her. 

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

Thanks, I mentioned it to my mum and she said she’d give it a go!

Hope you treatment goes well x