My mums unexpected passing

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 1 reply
  • 57 subscribers

My 80year old super fit mum had right haemocolectomy surgery on April 30th,the next day she looked amazing all the tumour was removed no complicatons,to be followed by mild chemo.Up to 3 days post ok she was amazing and there was talk of her going home.On the evening of the 3rd May she had really bad diarrhoea we were told this was normal as she's started to eat a little and the bowel was recovering.From then she went downhill unable to eat or drink a sip of water without sickness or diarrhoea she had an x-ray which showed fluid in the bowel,and they talked about putting her on a drip!! She continued to go downhill by day 9 she couldn't even stand on her own she was so ill we asked to see a Dr who agreed she needed to go on a drip as she was now dehydrated we had been asking about this for days before,we told them she was really ill they put it down to slow recovery!!! The next day she passed away she was in pain and suffering they did a ct scan which showed her aortic artery was blocked and she died from the waste down there was nothing  we could do,she passed away an hour later!! We have now had the post mortem results back as well as the blockage she had an anastomatic leak which we believe  had gone undetected for   seven days i am angry and upset that she was allowed to suffer so much and so needlessly,shouldn't a leak have been the first thing they tested for??

• Hi  and welcome to the Online Community, although I am so sorry to see the circumstance that brought you here and I am so sorry to hear about your mum.

I am Mike and I help out on the Community. I am a patient and don’t have any medical training and only have my cancer journey to go on.

We do have our Bereaved Family and Friends forum where you can talk with folks who have walked this path. Just follow the link below then hit the ‘Join the Group’ tab just under the main group name. At this point it is good to go to the right on the group home page and select how you want to receive email notifications when someone answers your posts. If in the future you don’t want to receive notifications just switch off the email notifications tab.

https://community.macmillan.org.uk/cancer_experiences/bereaved_friends/discussions

The best way to get support is to go to the 'Start a Discussion' tab just under the main group name. Set up a Discussion and Introduce yourself to the group - you could just copy an paste what you have in this first post.

You are asking a specific question that I can not answer for you. But can I highlight our various Macmillan Support Line Services on 0808 808 00 00 to be very helpful covering Emotional Support and Practical Information. Clinical Information and Financial Support and Work Guidance mostly open 8.00 to 8.00 but check the link.

We also have our ‘Ask an Expert’ section where you can post questions to our mostly Volunteer Experts but please allow a few days to get a reply.

I am so sorry to hear your news and wish the all best in the weeks to come 

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge