Breast cancer?

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 4 replies
  • 57 subscribers

I've had pain in one breast for about 6 weeks, gradually becoming more uncomfortable and spreading to the armpit. I contacted my GP last week and was referred to my local hospital. I have had a mammogram,  an ultrasound and a core biopsy as there was a lump detected in the breast. I get the results in a week. I am scared. Does anyone know if an ultrasound can distinguish between benign and malignant growths?

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hiya sorry you find yourself here but i hope i can help put your mind at rest somewhat.

Last year my daughter found a lump very much like you, she was fast tracked by our doctors to our local breast care clinic. She was seen within 10 days, they did a ultrasound scan and told her the lump was a Fibroadenoma, they also told her that because she was only 24 they would not do a biopsy but if she had been 25 they would have done. 

They do say cancer does not hurt so this is also a promising sign.

And to put your mind at a little more ease, i was diagnosed with breast cancer last year, after an MRI they found another mass, this was then looked at under a ultrasound scan, biopsies were taken and it came back as benign.

So try not to worry until you know you have something to worry about and DO NOT GOOGLE IT :o) 

There is a Breast Cancer Group as well as a Breast Cancer and under 50 group, (i'm guessing you're 21/22 because of the 97 at the end of your name) you will be welcomed to post in these too even though you don't know your results yet. The ladies are lovely and will support you every step of the way whatever the outcome.

Keep posting and talking to us, we'll get you through.

Big Hugs for you xxx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

Thank you for your reply. I'm not 21, I'm 53 though :-) I'm praying that the biopsy will come back benign but I'm not sure what would cause this pain I'm having in my breast and armpit. I have been googling like a thing possessed!

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

STOP!! Googling lol 

my daughter has quite a lot of pain with the fibroadenoma she has, so it could be that xx 

they will always do tests to be sure their results are correct xx 

• Hi  please do what  is saying and keep away from Dr Google as continually looking up information can take you down some very dark rabbit trails.

A very high percentage of the information that comes up on Dr Google is very general, often well out of date and will always lead you down the negative trail.

Try and keep yourself busy, do things to occupy your mind and if you start to think the “what if?” thoughts put everything down on paper as this will come in very useful at silly o-clock when you can’t sleep as you can park the thoughts and when you talk with your medical team out comes your notes and ask the questions.

I have a small lump on my neck, I know it’s a fatty lump as I have had so many check ups over my 20 year cancers journey, but as lots of folks on the Community come to us saying Google says - I did a little search.

3 - 4 clicks told me I had Lymphoma (which I had) and I had 6 months to live!...... the next click took me to an advert for an undertakers!!!!! - not.

((hugs))

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge