Esophageal Cancer

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 6 replies
  • 59 subscribers

Hi my name is Kaitlin, 

At 18 years of age I never in a million years thought that my dad would be diagnosed with Esophageal Cancer. As his full time carer my mum has advised me to speak to someone and join online communities for support and advice. This is all very new to me and I have no idea where to start so any help or advice would be very much appreciated x 

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi Kaitlin

A very warm welcome to the online community and a big well done for taking on the role as full time carer to your dad we all know that that you didn't want the job and we certainly know you don't want to be here but I am glad you've reached out to us for help and advice and this we can certainly help you with and give you a lot of support at the same time.

We have many groups that you can join and I would invite you to join one of more of them 

Carers only forum

Oesophageal cancer forum

Family and friends forum

To join any of the above groups please click on any of the green text above and this will open up new pages for you look for join this group and click on it then look for start a discussion click on this and you are now ready to introduce yourself to the group members no matter which group you join you will find all the members very friendly and supportive towards you and be willing to share with you all their experiences.

At 18 years old this is a big task you are taking on and I would implore you to look after yourself and take time out every so often to do your own thing and don't forget to keep in touch with your friends, they may not understand what you are doing but they will be there for you when you need a break and have some teenage fun.

Ian

• Hi Kaitlin and welcome to the community, although sorry to hear of your dad's diagnosis. It comes as a shock to us all when someone is affected by cancer, but be aware, many cancers can be treated successfully. Just to clarify your post in order to point you in the right direction, is it you or mum as the carer? Best wishes.

Best wishes to All,   rily.

Community Champion Badge

What is a Community Champion ?

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to rily

Hi Rily, 

Thank you so much. It has been a thought couple of weeks even though the cancer has only been diagnosed 4 weeks ago but we do know the cancer has spread and we are waiting anxiously for test results to come back. My mum works full time and my younger brother is at school and that leaves myself who is my dads carer 

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

Hi Ian, 

Thank you so much for providing the links and I have taken the time to join them. For me caring for my dad will be a tough challenge as we are just as stubborn as each other (think we know what side of the family I get the stubbornness from Joy) Thank you so very much for the advice 

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Dear Kaitlin, just in case you don't know there is a organisation called carers uk which is a great resource for anyone caring for a relative who is ill.

https://www.carersuk.org/about-us/why-we-re-here

i wish you and your dad all the best 

• Hi Kaitlin, sorry to hear about your dad, and my heart goes out to you. Have a look on the oesophagus cancer group and post any questions you have there. Like myself and others who have been diagnosed with oesophageal cancer and had treatment/ surgery, we will try to help you through this process. How long ago was your dad diagnosed and what was the overall view of the consultant? I just remember that after i was diagnosed it was all like a bad dream for the first couple of weeks. I think it was shock. Then once the appointments and scans started it all kicked off with staging and suggested treatment etc. I was lucky enough to have surgery and that was in October 2016. Find your local Macmillan centre and contact them or phone the helpline. Please do not feel alone and ask for any help you need, it is not a sign of weakness, it is a sign of strength and wisdom. We are all here for you, kind regards Frank.