I'm new to this

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 5 replies
  • 60 subscribers

Hello, I'm new to this.

My Mum is my very best friend and she was diagnosed with stage four cancer just before Christmas, she also has a brain tumor which we have managed for the past few  years. I have cared for my Mum through all of this which has been a journey in itself (we don't live together) - but  I am now struggling massively with this new additional diagnosis.  Pain management is the medical way forward for my Mum - its so hard for me to know that she is so ill and  the prognosis is not favorable.  I am in such deep emotional  pain all of the time, I constantly have a deep deep pain in my heart, I cry a lot. I want to find a way to help myself through this painful unstoppable journey,  I have supportive friends who are very good, I don't have any other family. I took some time off work recently and have just returned. I must continue on this journey of assisting my Mum but I need help to find  ways to manage my own deep emotional pain, the future looks very bleak to me right now.  I would appreciate tips suggestions from the community please......

• Hi and welcome to the online community

It's completely natural to struggle when you're trying to care for someone who has cancer. I haven't been in this position myself but can recommend that you join the carers group. It's a safe place to share your worries and emotions with others who understand what you're going through.

To join just click on the link I've created and then choose 'join this group' on the page that opens. You can then respond to existing posts by clicking on 'reply' and start your own by selecting 'start a discussion'. To save you typing this introduction out again just copy and paste it into a new post in the carers group.

When you have a minute it would be really useful if could pop something about your mum's journey so far into your profile, as it really helps others when answering or looking for someone with a similar diagnosis. It also means that you don't have to keep repeating yourself. To do this click on your username and then select 'Edit Profile'. You can amend it at any time and if you're not sure what to write you can take a look at mine by clicking on my username.

x

Community Champion Badge

What is a Community Champion?

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to latchbrook

Hello Latchbrook,

All that time has gone by and I've not responded - apologies. I took a diversion, working all week then caring all weekend etc etc.....my own life got hung on a hook, where it remains...its been a long hard year....I just don't have time to do things like call MacMillan or join groups, although I have logged on today for the first time in many many months to try and find where I might belong really. My poor mum is far worse and I am now taking time off of work to care for her.......so much is going through my head..like a fast train. I wanted so many times to call the support line but here I am and still I haven't. 

I'm going to look around the site and see where I go from there.....thank you for responding to me all that time ago. Innocent

Sunny Dayz Sun with face

• No need to apologise at all , it sounds like you've had an incredibly busy and stressful time.

I can see that you've joined and posted on the carers forum and I'm sure you'll get lots of support there. 

If you need any help navigating the site just shout.

x

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to latchbrook

You got that right - the year I wouldn't even wish on the devil!!!

I do hope I get some responses......I'm still new to this and finding my way around the site having just bathed my mum......I'm now sitting with a wee G&T before bed - only a tiny one to help me sleep tonight!!!! x x

• Well you've already had a lot of replies to your original post in the carers group . Clicking here will take you back to it if you haven't seen them.

Night, night

x

Community Champion Badge