My brother is very ill in hospital with a severe infection following chemo. I desperately want to be at his side, but I have a slight cough (which I'm just getting over). What should I do?

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 34 replies
  • 60 subscribers

Hello, I don't know if anyone can answer my question this late at night, but my brother is very ill with a severe infection following chemotherapy last week to treat very recently diagnosed Hairy Cell Leukemia. I'm absolutely desperate to be by his side supporting him, but I've got a very residual cough, and don't want to run the risk of infecting him. Please can anyone give me any advice? Thank you so much, I really am feeling so very desperate. My mum is with him, and has said that I should remain ready to leave for the hospital tonight, in case he gets any worse - he's not been responding to the antibiotics so far. Is there anything I can do (facemasks etc) that would make it better? I'd be so grateful for any advice at all. My brother and I are very, very close, and my mother is very elderly. She's likely to stay with him all night tonight.

Thank you so much 

Debbi 

• Hi Debbie 

How is your brother doing now.   I can empathise my 25 year old son went in last night temperature of 38.3  then it dropped to 38.1. Weht back earlier. He is on antibiotics as well. 

It's such a very stressful time 

All the best 

Hayley x

Hayley 
  • Hi Hayley  I was having a look at your posts in the Cares Only Group (I am not allowed to post in there as I was the one with the cancer) and I see your son is also on a Stem Cell Transplant journey.

I help out in our dedicated Stem Cell Transplant Forum (SCT) where many folks who are getting ready, going through or have come out the other end of the SCT rilkercidtet hang out and support each other.

I have had two Allo SCT with cells from my drover and eventually all command good. This treatment can be rather different from many of the treatments folks with cancer go through, not only is it challenging for the patient but also for all those looking on as my long suffering wife can testify to.

Why not come join the SCT group as this will open up your concerns to a wider audience who know exactly what you are going through at the moment.

Just follow the link above, hitting ‘Join the Group’ tab just under the main group name, then go to the 'Start a Discussion' tab and set up your own Discussion and introduce yourself to the group.

When you feel up to it try putting some information in your profile. This really helps others when answering. It also means that you don't have to keep repeating yourself. Just click on YOUR username, select 'Edit Profile'. Put as much or as little in your profile and you can amend it at any time - you can see members profiles by hitting our forum names.......

Ley is walk the SCT journey with you - I will keep an eye open for you.

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• Mike thank you. I will edit profile and go on link. 

Going to be so emotional this Christmas first tune 4 of us won't be home together. Struggling with that

Thanks 

Hayley

Hayley 
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Cyprusfan

Hi Hayley, 

Thank you so much for your very kind message. My brother is hanging in there. He's still in a bad way though. He had an allergic reaction to the next lot of antibiotics they gave him, and came out in an awful rash. His hands were also swelling up. They've stopped that now and are giving him lots of saline. I spoke to him at 3am and again at around 8am. 

I'm so sorry to hear about your son, I really appreciate how stressful and worrying this time is for you both. My old mother (aged 85, and a former nurse) has been at my brother's side since early Wednesday morning (including the last two nights). I'm so frustrated that I can't relieve her, but I don't think she'd go home even if I could.

Anyway, I will keep you posed on how my brother does. Please take care of yourself too, and thank goodness for wonderful Mike in the community here, who's reached out to you with further support. 

Kindest wishes

Debbi x

• Hi Hayley, it will be an honour to walking this walk with you.

Christmas?....... following my second SCT on 21 October 2015 I was at home but have no recollection of the first few months post SCT, I can only go on what my wife tells me as during this time has my head was just mince!!!!

A FB memory came up on one of my daughters feeds this morning - the picture is of me sitting with my oldest granddaughter kneeling on the floor watching me open my 60th dirthday cards and gifts, I had a big smile on my face ..... but 4 years on I still have no real recollection of this.

But I take great comfort that we have had three  Christmas, birthdays, lots of happy times......... and life. As without SCT that would not have been the case.

Keep your eyes fixed on the greater good in all this.

((hugs))

Mike (Thehighlander)

Community Champion Badge

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

Dear Debbi, have read your latest update and just wanted to let you know I am thinking of you and your family at this difficult time. Hang on in there, these things often take time for the doctors to get sorted out but as you can see from the wonderful responses from knowledgeable forum members, where there’s a will there a way. Hopefully you will soon be able to visit your brother but in the meantime  you must take good care of yourself.

• Hi Debbie 

I am sure your brother will soon pick up. It seems to be with a lot of infections trial and error as to which meds will work the best. In the meantime it's an awful waiting game for both patient and relative. It's the feeling that we can't do anything to help isn't it?

If someone had said to me pre 23rd August I would be in this forum I would have thought they had hole in the head. Life can be shit.

Yes thank God for Mike I will look at what he has advised later.  I can't always take it all in. 

Anytime you want to chat on here. I am here for you 

Hayley xx

Hayley 
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Thehighlander

Hi  

I was wondering if you could give me some advice? My brother is reacting very badly to all the different antibiotics they’re giving him. He has a terrible rash (so bad that some of the consultants have come to take a look just for their info I think). His hands are also swelling up. He’s seen yet another consultant on the rounds this morning, who was a bit dismissive apparently. He said that Andrew is to continue with one of the antibiotics he’s reacting against, and of course today is Friday, which means Andrew won’t see another consultant till Monday, and will be continuing with antibiotics that are causing him great distress. I’m sure the doctors know what they’re doing, but he’s still in a side room on the Acute Medical Unit, pending a bed becoming available on the Haematology ward. 

So my question is, are there any groups I should join to ask if there’s anything we can do? I appreciate there may not be, but I wanted to ask. I have joined the groups you suggested but I was so exhausted last night, that I didn’t put any further messages up (my brother has been calling me throughout the night too). Andrew suffers with lots of allergies so it’s unsurprising that he’s reacting so badly. 

Thank you so much for all your advice and support.

Kindest wishes

Debbi x

• Hi Debbie 

Sorry to jump in. It is a identical situation we are in. Nicholas is in a side room on acute medical. They don't seem to have the knowledge that a haemotology unit has. We are waiting as well. 

Same boat weekend is coming and we won't get much luck then 

Hayley x

Hayley 
  • Hi Debbie and Hayley, first I would strongly recommended you both start your own discussion in the Stem Cell Transplant Forum as this will open up your concerns to more folks who have the ‘T’ shirt and done it and it’s not just me posting answers.

Now your question - reactions to antibiotics can indeed happen and some time (from my experience) you just have to knuckle down and get through it. I am allergic to Penicillin so this make these time hard.

“he’s still in a side room on the Acute Medical Unit, pending a bed becoming available on the Haematology ward” 

Good that he is in Acute Medical - a safe place to be and in his own room keeps him away from the birds of visitors who don’t take car and come visit folks full of bugs........ Yes, best to be in the Heamatology Unit but again from my experience, when I was in hospital with many infections and was in the same position as Andrew the duty Haematologist used to come in past and see me on the weekend, and during the weekend and at night there will be an on call Haematologist if required.

Mike (Thehighlander)

Community Champion Badge