Serous Endometrial Cancer

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 19 replies
  • 61 subscribers

After a D&C and biopsy, I was advised I had polyps.  A week later I was advised I had Endometrial Cancer.  My first OMG moment.  I had a hysterectomy and biopsy on two lymph nodes early last week (two weeks tomorrow) and was told by the surgeon last thing before I left hospital to take it easy dont stress as my cancer was not agressive, slow moving, and they could see it was contained.

ON Friday two days ago, my surgeon rang and I knew I was in trouble as she wanted to know if my husband was with me.  So my pesky little inconvenience has finally been diagnosed as Stage1A Grade 2 Serous Endometrial Carcinoma.  The cancer was contained in the uterous, ie they said it hadn't spread.  My massive OMG moment.

I have been in shock since, and feel even worse after trying to find out about this cancer the literature is very disheartening.

It has been explained to me I can expect to have four cycles of chemo every three weeks, followed by 28 radiation therapies and then possiblly 2 more three weekly chemos.  Also explained they are going to hit me with the really heavy duty stuff if I can take it.  This regime will be confirmed on my next appointment as I have to wait another four weeks to heal from the surgery.

This treatment will obviously have a lifespan of nearly six solid months.  Is this normal.  I know so little, cannot find too much on the internet except awful statistics and not a lot about serous.  I am trying to keep a clear head but its challenging me big time.

If this cancer is as bad as it appears, is there an argument for not having treatment.  I am so confused, I hope someone can help me or guide me somewhere.  I need some positivity, and being in Australia there are no forums here.  Thank you in advance, Ella.

• Hi . I agree the staging/grading can be confusing. I'm not medically trained but can offer my observations - After my ultrasound, CT & MRI scan and biopsy I was told I was stage 1a/grade 1 (Stage 1a contained within the womb, not penetrated the muscle by 50%) After my hysterectomy and the womb and everything else was examined I was regraded to stage 1B - penetrated more than 50% into the muscle but still within the womb. and grade 3 - high grade serous. 

I suppose when you think about it biopsies only take a random sample of tissue so they might miss something altogether. My Oncologist showed me my MRI scan & I could barely make out the 4cm (less than 2") tumour. Until they can put the cells under a microscope they can't see what type they were. My CNS described mine as angry looking.

Good luck for 6th August.

Barb x

Community Champion Badge

Womb cancer forum

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

"Never lose hope. Storms make people stronger and never last forever” - Roy T Bennett

• Today 6th August I finally got my results : and it 's good news ! Though upgraded to 1b grade 3 Serous as all clear apart from penetration into wall of womb 50% but still contained within the womb. ( Sentinel Nodes,  nodes, and Omentum all clear. I have been referred to Oncologist as they want to see me to discuss Radiotherapy and chemo, as a precaution which puzzles me a bit if all clear, but due to the aggressive nature of Serous it needs to be considered, so the nest stage of waiting begins ( Though not stressful like it has been ) so I have to make a decision based on best advise of the oncologists; I would appreciate your thoughts on follow on treatment under these circumstances...( I assumed I would be told it was needed, not given a choice, if you know what I mean.) I suppose I have to weigh up the side effects....watch this space !!

Thanks for your support it is really appreciated x

• Hello lovely that’s good news, I had 4 rounds of chemo every 21 days, I wasn’t sick at all just on the 3rd day I had very bad bone pain it lasted about 3 days then I was back to normal.  I then had 4 brachytherapy sessions that were a walk in the park to be honest no pain what so ever.  My oncologist didn’t give me the option he just said that that was my treatment, he said it was to prevent it coming back.  One thing my chemo nurse asked me was if I had sickness when I was pregnant I said no and she said I wouldn’t be sick and she was right.  Always here for you lots of love xxx

• Hiya  Nannyjanet 

May I please ask about the timeframe from biopsy to operation.....I'm just worried its nearly 2 months since biopsy to operation and advised it is 1a stage......I just wonder if at biopsy after hysterectomy it changes or they upgrade as its been growing.

Am I being a tad paranoid?

M x

Madesp 
  • Hi Mrs BJH

Same question I would ask you as Nannyjanet:

May I please ask about the timeframe from biopsy to operation.....I'm just worried its nearly 2 months since biopsy to operation and advised it is 1a stage......I just wonder if at biopsy after hysterectomy it changes or they upgrade as its been growing.

Am I being a tad paranoid?

M x

Madesp 
  • Hi .No you're not being paranoid, you just want to know what's what. The initial biopsy will suggest what stage and grade it might be but it can't be confirmed until the tissue removed after the hysterectomy is fully examined. CT and MRI scans give an analysis of the size of tumour.

Endometrial cancer is a slow growing cancer so don't worry too much about the delay. I naively thought the 2 week wait cancer pathway meant from GP referral to seeing a consultant with an op date in mind. In effect it's 2 weeks for every test, then result etc.

Don't worry my love, you'll get there.

Big hugs, Barb xx

Community Champion Badge

Womb cancer forum

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

"Never lose hope. Storms make people stronger and never last forever” - Roy T Bennett

• Barb thank you that's made me calm down a bit.

Sending you virtual hugs as you too continue to fight this beast.

M x

Madesp 
  • Hi Mychett

Just wondered how you're doing as I've had the same as you. I was stage 1a Grade 3c serous.

I have Oncologist appointments tomorrow to discuss further treatments after BSO hysterectomy. 

I'm hoping I will do well just as you did. Are you having any after side effects?

Has Brachytherapy left you with a sensitive bladder or bowel problems?

Thanks in advance  x

Madesp 
  • Hello lovely I’m doing really well, after my brachytherapy I had 2 telephone appointments and on 24th Jan I had an actual face to face appointment, the doctor checked my stomach and did a sort of internal and then just said everything was absolutely fine. I have another telephone appointment on 24th April. I had 4 brachytherapy and have had no after effects since, all I had was slight upset bowel for about a week but absolutely nothing since. Plus the brachytherapy was completely painless each session lasted about 20 minutes. I wish you all the luck but you can do this we are fighters sending you loads of love and support xxx