Living with incurable cancer - incurable patients only

This group is specifically for people with an incurable or terminal diagnosis. Whether you need to talk about dying, or about making the most of your life, you can discuss your feelings openly here.

Just recently been advised that chemo is not working by professionals.

Kenzie12
Posted by

I could have told them I didn't think the chemo was working last few rounds.

Now referred to Marie Curie project who seem very professional and friendly. It is a bit strange like I have been attending BLAH BLAH hospital since 2015 and now it seems like it is all over !!!!!

They should have something like a wee tea party, whilst you are not going to recover the staff have been involved in your life closely over the last 3 years.

One phone call meeting with the Consultant, then BYE !!!!

I don't want to sound totally negative as I am now on a new journey which may turn out a positive experience.

I have already  had a Reiki  therapy treatment which was very relaxing.

Look to hearing from other friends on this new experience.

Kenzie xxx

Johnty
Posted by

Dear Kenzie, I was sorry to read of the abrupt ending to your relationship with your consultant, this is a issue I have raised with my palliative care doctor at my local hospital. I have urged them to create a better way of transitioning patients from curative to palliative treatment by communicating better with their patients during treatment. I currently have a foot in both treatment and hospice care and at some point will transfer completely over to palliative care. You might be interested in the thread I created called “ how the hospice improved my quality of life” as the replies are very uplifting. I look forward to hearing your experiences with Marie curie.

best wishes 

jane 

best wishes

jane

daloni
Posted by

Hi

I am sorry to hear you’re on to the next stage of your journey. It’s good to see you be so positive about it. 
I think you make a really good point. I think we rely on our health professionals so much. I know I do. An abrupt goodbye must be really tough. So the idea of a transition would be really helpful for patients. 
I have been involved in some work around end of life services with Macmillan. Would you mind if I flagged up this idea with them? 
good luck as you move on 

xxx

anndanv
Posted by

Hi Kenzie12, I was sorry to read the way in which you were dismissed from your consultant, they could make this a more positive experience I'm sure! Just wanted to say good luck on your continuing journey. I'm sure you will find Marie Curie a much better experience than you expect! Please do take a look at Jane's (Johnty's) post!

Love Annette x