What a day

• 3 replies
  • 49 subscribers

I am diagnosed with metastatic pulmonary adenocarcinoma. The "good" news it is of the mutated non small cell variety that, generally responds well to targeted therapy. Originally was going to start on Afatinib with the NHS until I mentioned I had private health insurance. My, then, oncologist informed me about Osimertinib, as this is currently not available on the NHS as a Stage 1 treatment under NICE guidelines (may be used as a Stage 2). Started treatment with this 48 days ago, funded by Health Insurance but only for 12 months, 

Feedback yesterday (from CT scan taken last week, just over six weeks after starting treatment) shows that large tumour in right lung has shrunk by around 20mm (was originally 50mm), and the three small tumours in the left lung and one in the lymph gland have all also reduced in size. Was so pleased I drove back to work, only to find I had left the medication at the hospital so had to drive back to collect (luckily only 20mins away). Understand all treatment is palliative (and about prolonging life expectancy) but I'll take this as a good step forward

• Excellent news - that is certainly a great step forward. Long may it last...

Gives us all hope - thanks for sharing. 

• Thanks for sharing. Not only is it heartening to hear good news, but one never know when the information one shares may be useful to another in similar circumstances. 

Smiled reading of the leaving of the medicine at hospital because you were so happy at the good news. Glad that it was not a terribly long drive.

Wishing you the best with your treatment

Lin
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi

What a day indeed. I’m so pleased for you. Leaving the medication behind in a fit of excitement is the kind of thing I’d do. You made me laugh. 

Keep shrinking those tumours! 

Xx