Still incureable

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 14 replies
  • 48 subscribers

Hi all

I've had my break and think it's time to return to posting.

An update: When I left (I think) my drug, afatinib, was still working and I knew where I was going. Things have changed quite dramatically. 

The more I write the more I believe you are aware of most of this. In which case, apologies.

The afatinib stopped working and I was being tested for a re-mutation which would involve a similar targetted therapy. At the same time I was proposed for a trial (HALT) at the Marsden. Cut a long one short, my cancer has not re-mutated and there is no obvious reason why the afatinib stopped working. The service (oxymoron) I received at the Marsden was pretty poor. In three visits I chatted with the trial lead three times and on the final visit they took my blood pressure. Disappointing to say the least. I was finally told I needed a current CT scan to see if the cancer had progressed beyond their parameters. 'Ive got a CT at Worthing on 29th April'. Clinic set for 2nd May. 'No we will do it much sooner here and get the results faster. Cancel Worthing'. I didn't.

Today 26th April, I finally received an appointment for the Marsden CT scan. 1st May!!! No way will results be ready overnight.

Meantime I have a CT directed biopsy at Worthing re the possible re-mutation question with the sample sent to the Marsden for analysis. 'Results will be here Monday' 'Err Wednesday' 'afternoon'. 'Thursday'? The reason they couldnt pass on my results is a doctor hadnt authorised it! Thats a pathetic excuse.

My oncologist is not happy and decides to approach another trial at Brighton. Keynote 789. 'Phil Ive just phoned Brighton and asked that they consider you for the trial'. 30 minutes later 'This is the trial nurse at Brighton, can I go through a few things with you and then I will email you the trial info pack'. 30 mins later pack arrives I read it and answer their questions.

My thoughts are what a complete and utter waste of my time the Marsden was and what and absolute delight Brighton appears to be.

Im back slightly worse for wear but ready for the next leg of the battle.

I hope you have all survived and are getting Worthing rather than Sutton, service.

Phil

• Great to have you back Phil.  You've been missed.

Gragon.

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Gragon

Thanks Gragon

Its good to be back. Phil

• Welcome back Phil. I second Gragon, you have been missed.

Some time after my incurable diagnosis I received a letter from the Cancer Care Centre inviting me to attend for a Mammogram 'as early detection of breast cancer saves lives.' It was more than a little disconcerting considering the amount of time I spent there.

Other than that I've had excellent care throughout, and I can't imagine dealing with the news that your treatment is no longer working AND the shambolic experience at the Marsden. You must have taken a battering. Thank God for Brighton, I hope this will be the way forward for you and wish you the very best of luck. xx

Tinalay 
    Every bad situation is a blues song waiting to happen.
    Amy Winehouse.
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Tinalay

Thanks Tinalay

Another welcome contact.

Phil xx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

Hi Phil

So sorry to read of your experiences at the Marsden, Sutton, Phil. I too had bad experiences there and would not recommend  the Marsden for lung cancer treatment. It is difficult saying this as the Marsden is held up as a centre of excellence. So glad your local hospital is supporting you and you are happy with their approach. It makes such a difference and l suppose in all walks of life you have people you can connect with and others you cannot. One of the oncologists at the Marsden gave the impression she was bored and l felt my cancer did.not engage her. There was nothing l could do as my local oncologist was friends with this Marsden oncologist. It doesn't matter now l am beyond oncologist's help but so pleased for you your local oncologist looking into further treatment for you and so speedily. Hope new treatment goes well x

• FormerMember

Hi m-j

Gives me no pleasure to know you also had problems but Im pleased it isnt just me experiencing problems.

The oncologists, especially if they are involved in research appear to know each other but I have already passed on my thoughts. Its only their egos that get bruised, it is, quite literally, my life. They have to realise that the NHS isnt there for their benefit, its to provide a service to us, the patients. I realise that budget cuts are a major problem, it was the same in the police when Theresa MAY was slaughtering them. But simple realisation that cancer kills and cancer untreated kills faster, would be a good start.

Oncologists of the World take note, you are here to look after us. Without us you dont have a job!  

• FormerMember

Absolutely!!!!!!!

xxx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi

It is good to see you back. The Marsden sounds utterly shambolic. It’s weird. I hear great things from others including that they do report scans very quickly - including within the visit to the ct scan unit.

My experience of trials is that they require a number of frustrating visits before you finally get underway. I sit on a trials group as a lay member and the thing that’s struck me is just how complicated they are. So for example there will be a fairly straightforward set of inclusion and exclusion criteria then along comes someone with an unusual history and that upsets the whole thing. Then there’s another telephone conference to agree a change, redrafting, signing off from the sponsors and back to the patient who by that time has gone off to another trial. 

Anyway. Brighton sounds much more like it. It seems to me that when you have good research nurses involved then things just work better. 

Xx

• FormerMember

Hi Daloni Ive just written something very similar on the Lung thread. Its true my experience is of one small group of people and you cant draw conclusions from that.

Anyroadup

Its good to be back.

Phil

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Sometimes being on a trial can have more than one meaning of the word "trial", if you get my drift! You are tested for patience and endurance! But you are "getting somewhere", so that much is good. Keep on keeping on.

Lots of love

Alison xxx