Taking controlled drugs on a flight

• 20 replies
  • 50 subscribers

Hi

Flying to Spain in a week or so (mainland). Have read guidance to have a letter from doctor showing why you're prescribed these drugs (for me oxycodone and fentanyl). Will be taking a week's supply with me. 

Does anyone have experience of this they can share? Should I take my full supply on the plane? I know there are issues with liquids and I'm getting a bit anxious as don't think I could go if I had my pain meds refused to be allowed on the flight. Am I worrying about nothing? (it's possible, I'm good at worrying) 

Thanks in advance for any advice / experiences. 

Gxx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi  Graeme

I do not have an answer as have not  had this medication

As you have a letter from your doctor stating .while you have it i would think that would be good enough.

If i was going i would phone the air line or who ever the holiday was booked with, to ask the question and get clarification on it.

Hope other pop in that may have come up against this situation.

Hope you have a lovely time.

Take Care Ellie xx

"You Never Walk A Lone"

• Hey Graeme,

The medications need to be in their original boxes and bottles when you fly with them, so that they have the prescribed labels on them.

As you've already said, you also need a letter saying why you need to take them with you, but it should also be translated into Spanish and explain what the active ingredient is in each med, not just the brand name. You should also have a copy of your repeat prescriptions with you too in case they ask.

What size are your bottles of liquid meds? Mine were small enough that it could fit into the silly little bag they give you for any liquids. So that made going through security easier. If your bottle/s are too big for the bag, they may want to do some extra testing on them.

Check the regulations of the company you're flying with too. There was one I flew with.... I want to say Jet 2, but that might be wrong.... who allowed you to take an additional bag just for medications. It was brilliant, because it meant I had a whole lot of extra space in my hand luggage after taking 3 weeks of meds out!

I'd also recommend taking 2 weeks worth with you, just in case there's a delay in returning for whatever reason. I always take extra when I go anywhere, but it turns out my parents don't. Found this out when they'd been in Madeira for 2 weeks then couldn't fly home because of high winds, so we're stuck there an extra 10 days which involved having to get a Dr out to the hotel to prescribe them both all the meds they'd need for those extra days. It wasn't cheap, as it was a pay up front then claim back on insurance.

Now, I've spent from when you posted this to now searching online, and I'm frustrated. I can see that your drugs are on the restricted list. I can see that if you take more than 3 months worth out of the country then you need to file with the UK export folks. I can also see that you need to apply for an import license from Spain to bring them in. What it doesn't tell me anywhere that I can see, is if there's a point where you need the import license. So a week or two's worth is fine, but for 3 months or more it's not. It just doesn't say anywhere that I can find. Unless this says, but I can't read Spanish.... http://www.incb.org/documents/Travellers/Original/SPA_ORG.pdf

So I think the safest thing to do, would be to give the Spanish embassy a ring first thing tomorrow and ask about travelling with a controlled substance. See if a week or two's worth is ok without any licences.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help!

Lass

Xx

I have no medical training, everything I post is an opinion or educated guess. It is not medical advice.

• Thank you so much for going to all that effort Lass. Will make a fee phonecalls today and get all this sorted.

Thanks again

G xx

• Good luck! My fingers are crossed for you!

Lass

Xx

I have no medical training, everything I post is an opinion or educated guess. It is not medical advice.

• Hi Graeme

I regularly (average once a month) take controlled drugs on flights and they have never been examined yet. I have them along with the packets they come in from the pharmacy. Sometimes I have 3 blister packs as well as the controlled drugs. I've never had liquid drugs though. Good advice from Lass (although I didn't get reading all of it, not that there would not be good advice from her) I ALWAYS bring extra, because you never know what problems might delay you for 2 or 3 days, I wouldn't be in a good place without mine! Good luck and have a great holiday, Graeme.

Tvman

Love life and family.
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to tvman

Hi. I am currently in Mallorca woohoo. I travelled with Dalteparin syringes, morphine tablets and oramorph in 300ml bottle among other things. The oramorph goes through a special scanner in security and all they do is check the name on the label matches the name on the boarding pass. Keep all meds in original packaging. As already mentioned your meds can be in a separate bag from the rest of your hand luggage.

I always travel with a letter from my GP and a copy prescription. My GP could charge me for the letter but he never does.

To date I've been abroad 6 times with these drugs and have had to show the letter once in Barcelona airport.

Happy Travels xx

• That's great info kirky thanks. 

I take a lot of oxycodone. 250ml every two days. Should I take it all in my hand luggage or should I keep some in my case and just what I'll need (with a little spare) on me?

Thanks again 

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Graeme77

I went to Portugal at half term and for the first time I had to take a medical bag. I had to let the airline know about it and it went as extra hand luggage. Inside I had a week's supply of Fortisip and my liquid medications including oxcycodone. When I got to security the bag was pulled aside, they needed to see the Dr's letter and then they took the liquids away to be scanned. It took longer to clear security but once through I had no problems.

• Having had my luggage lost on one occasion I now always pack all of the important stuff, including medication in my hand luggage.  I also take a CPAP machine which is a pain in the backside as it has to be scanned separately, but that goes in my hand luggage as well.

All the best,

Gragon 

• Hi Graeme

I always have my meds in a small rucksack onto the plane as hand luggage along with my real hand luggage, then I always know where it is, it's in my line of sight all the time. Going on board in a wheelchair means they don't check what I have coming on with me. 

Tvman

Love life and family.