how I’ve learnt to count my blessings.

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 4 replies
  • 2 subscribers

Despite everything that has happened to me in the last 16 months,I have learnt from being in this forum I have much to be grateful for. I have a wonderful husband who is dedicated to looking after me, wonderful nurses who take care of my medical needs and the love and support of the hospice and all that work there. Also my treatment is not onerous and has minimal side effects. I know this not the case for many other patients so I count this as one of my blessings. I would love to hear of things that are still bringing you joy despite the difficult circumstances we are all in. I think it would be uplifting to hear your stories. 

best wishes

jane

• This is exactly how I've been feeling, thank you for putting it into words.

There was a time when I felt that much as I love you all, I was fine before and didn't need this illness to make me appreciate my life.

Now, I'm so grateful to have met you all, and wouldn't be without you.

I'm so proud of my family, and thankful for good friends and the overwhelming support from unexpected places.

I love this time of year and the stunning colours. I love volunteering at a drama group for adults with severe learning difficulties, they live in the moment and get pleasure from music and dance and support each other.

I'm working very, very part time, but it's giving me some structure and the feeling that I'm useful.

We have a dog that makes us laugh every day, and gets me out every day so makes me realise there are very few bad weather days, just wrong clothes.  xx

Tinalay 
    Every bad situation is a blues song waiting to happen.
    Amy Winehouse.
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Tinalay

Dear tinalay, it’s so uplifting to hear you have purpose in your life despite everything. I too have developed a new love of nature and love to see all the different birds at my local nature reserve. I have watched the signets turn in swans this past year and the ducks pairing off into couples and the arrival of the Canada geese. It makes me aware that I have been around to see the seasons come and go and I’m grateful for that. I try to make a connection with my fellow patients at my blood cancer clinic and lift their spirits with everyday chatter as it’s a stressful time for the newly diagnosed and it is a  distraction from a difficult time, this also gives me joy.

best wishes 

jane

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

Hi Jane, 

What a nice idea. I think counting your blessings sounds very old fashioned and is, as a result, massively under rated. Regular counting of blessings keeps me positive and, by and large, happy. 

Like you, I’m blessed with loving family and friends including my friends here in this community. I am blessed not just by their love but in having them to love.

At a basic level I’m blessed to have a roof over my head, enough money to keep the house warm and my belly full. 

I have a whole bunch of skills in the crafting department and I enjoy making beautiful things for the people I love. I made matching dressing gowns for my niece and her 12 bridesmaids and on the morning of her wedding I joined them all as they got dressed up. Walking into their room to see 13 people dressed in the gowns I’d made was just wonderful. 

I live in a lovely place with glorious nature on my doorstep. The new puppy is prompting me to get out there and to get out into the garden. I’d got rather stuck in the house recently so to be out again, seeing the colours and breathing the fresh air, feels so good. 

My newly re grown hair is soft and stylish. 

I could go on. And on. And on. But that will do for now. 

Thanks for starting this 

xx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

Dear Daloni, thank you for your lovely contribution to this topic. I agree the notion of gratitude for blessings received is old fashion but as I’ve learnt in this forum some people are facing cancer without the support we and others have. Like you I have a roof over my head that I can keep warm and enough money to meet my basic needs, and the unconditional love of my husband. I don’t take any of these things for granted and I’ve chosen to see them as things to be grateful for and that seems to help me not become too depressed about my situation, which is something I’ve tried very hard to avoid. I spent yesterday at the hospice with my fellow patients, this is something I have come to value enormously, it only exists because the collective love of many people decided that people like me should be cherished in my hour of need and that is indeed a blessing. 
    best wishes 

jane