Lack of understanding

• 11 replies
  • 18 subscribers

In the autumn of 2019 I was diagnosed with stage 3 peritoneal cancer and had various treatments, including chemo over the following year. A year later I was in hospital again with post operation problems from scar tissue resulting in another operation.  A year later, despite being on immunotherapy drugs to keep the peritoneal cancer away, I had breast cancer and a double mastectomy.  I didn’t have chemo despite being offered it; borderline benefits and it makes me so ill - another six months of my life would have been under the cosh.  So I am carrying in with life as normal, reasonably well though the prescribed hormone tablets give me unwelcome side effects.  That’s the context, now here is my rant.  A good number of my family - including my son of 40 and his wife - think I am now OK.  They think remission means I am all but cured and don’t understand my anxieties when I have the three month blood checks including the CA125 cancer markers. Nor do they get it when I am thoroughly tired and not able to do stuff I used to.  I am 72 and though look sprightly do not have the strength I used too. Some friends take the same view. I  have started to have arguments with my son who gets angry when I say I can’t do things like pushing a pushchair or I get things wrong with IT stuff - classic switch of the parent/child relationship. It’s almost like he is saying when did you become a negative dope. A ‘cancer buddy’ who I met in hispital has just died and she was so inspirational.  Her family was so supportive and helpful, though mainly her daughter - is it a male thing with my son? And  some of my friends tell me me ‘we all will die of something” , I.e. you are no different to others.  Maybe I am not. End of rant, I  can’t work it out despite a background as a counsellor. Feel sad and overwhelmed by it all. I don’t want sympathy but I do need positive help to make the best of life in realistic ways. I do say this, but it’s so often not heard. .  Sorry this is long!

• I think a lot of men find it hard to show their emotions, and still see it as weakness so try to keep emotional situations at arms length, I see people trying to understand what it's like to live with cancer a little like us men trying to understand what it's like to be pregnant, I'm glad your situation with your son is improving and you have good friends, Glenis to get on the chit-chat group, go to the top of this page and click on Living with incurable cancer-patients only, then scroll down to, Lovely morning chit-chat thread Feb 2024 and click on;

Eddie