A series of disconnected (but kind of connected) thoughts and feelings, courtesy of mementomori

• 59 replies
  • 23 subscribers

Hi all,

I'm so glad to have found this community to be able to speak to people who know how I'm feeling.

I am struggling with mobility at the moment, due to a tumour in my spine. Hopefully this will get better with the radiation treatment I'm having, but all of this is palliative now so I know it's probably only going to get worse. I'm really worried about losing my mobility and what that would mean. I am yet to meet with the Palliative Care team so suppose that will help to clear things up. My doctors don't really want to do any more chemo due to the rare complications I seem to keep getting, but I just feel like I'll decline so very quickly without it. I'm scared of the possibility of deteriorating rapidly - not necessarily of dying overall, but of becoming too sick to do anything I want to do anytime in the near future.

I didn't ask for a timeline - my doctors probably wouldn't be able to give me one anyway, given how rare my set of circumstances are. I have a feeling that it's shorter than my family thinks it is, and I don't really know how to handle that either. I just feel like I don't want to talk about it at all, it makes me uncomfortable to discuss with people in my day-to-day life. Avoidance/distraction is working in a way, but I worry that it's not productive. But do I care about what's productive anymore, or am I just aiming to get by as happily as I can?

The steroids that I'm on are also affecting my sleep, which is obviously not ideal and makes me feel even more off-balance. Just feels like everything is piling on, and I don't know where to even start! I'm always the problem solver, but I've been presented with a problem that I can't solve and it makes me very uncomfortable.

I guess I just needed to rant a bit, which is what this discussion board is for, after all. If you have any advice or just want to commiserate alongside me, please feel free to do so.

Sending love, prayers and good vibes <3

• Hi Bev, people on this forum have found www [dot] insurancewith [dot] com to be reasonably priced for our club.  Start with them.  

• Hi Mementomori Great uusername by the way

Sorry I'm so late introducing myself.

I too hate discussing my illness, especially in a group setting.  I'm not too bad at talking about it one on one, but dislike it when people grill me for information when there are other people around.  I feel as if I'm rhe entertainment and they're asking out of morbid curiosity. Or something.

In those situations, I quickly close it down and when someone says So,  How are you? (Spk for Tell us all about it)  I quickly say I'm fine thanks and you? (Back at ya!)

Anyway, I don't want to talk about cancer when I'm trying to enjoy myself with coffee and cake. 

I also get the reluctance to talk about it 24/7 with relatives.  It might make THEM feel better, but I find I can cope with cancer better when people aren't being heavy all the time. My mother is the worst for this.  She means we'll but is always trying to get family members to get me on my own and to open up and have a 'good chat'

If she had her way, we'd all be sat in a darkened room, holding hands and singing cwmbya'  and crying and wailing about the whole thing.  That is so not me.

I appreciate everyone is different, and don't get me wrong, I have my dark moments, but the way I look at it is, if I'm constantly focusing on all things doom and gloom, them I'm wasting what precious time I have left.

Anyway, I have this place to have a rant and a rage!

I've also never asked for a timeline.

1. I'm also constantly being put on steroids, (immunotherapy  doesn't like me much) so empathise with you about the sleepless nights.

Xx

• Ps sorry for the strange typos and formatting.  I don't seem to be able to edit my posts anymore.

• I've had a break from the forum but just wanted to say hello and send you a hug. Everybody else has said it all and ads ever, it's all good advice. So don't be lonely. People are here for you and each other.  Rainie x

• Hi Harebelle,

Yup - I know in some relationships they call it “grey rocking”. Not quite the same here but a similar concept I suppose, when you feel someone is digging for gossip or info you don’t want to share, you respond in as boring a manner as possible! They eventually get tired of it. I also pull out the “oh I’m just avoiding it at the moment” with more understanding people. 

That’s one thing I love about my job - I work from home in a mentally stimulating and dynamic position, and people really respect that I need to be treated “normally”, unless I specify otherwise. I don’t want to be the “cancer girl”, I’m an amazing woman who is excellent at her job, and also happens to have cancer!

I ended up making a Facebook group to stop the constant barrage of calls, texts and emails. That way I can post pics of my good days, posts about treatment and my friends and family from all across the country can connect. I’ve even found that one of my closest work colleagues has suffered from the pain of losing a child, as have my grandparents. She also has experience of having a child with a complex mental illness, like ny grandparents! So I’m planning on getting them connected, when I’m ready.

Oh I definitely have so many dark moments, and the smallest things set me off (the straw that breaks the camel’s back, I suppose)! That’s when I have a cry, a drink, some junk food and head over to this forum for a good old read and chat. Or watch trash TV, whatever feels best at the time! 

All my love,

MM

• I hope the drinks before you come hear is not a P***tant thing or you won't be able to do your tiepin properly 

• Brilliant post MM.  xxx

• Wish there was a way of typing just... nodding, listening, thinking. X