Chemotherapy delay caused by ALP

• 14 replies
  • 69 subscribers

Hi everyone,

Joined few days ago and decided to finally introduce myself. 

I’m 45 year old mother of a lovely 10 year old son who’s has been diagnosed with secondary breast cancer two months ago, HER2 triple positive.

By the time I felt and noticed my lump, I had spreads to my spine, pelvic, sternum and my ribs. 
Left breast upper quarter tumor 8.6cm.

As you know, all required tests take time so it took me just under three months to have my first chemo.

After being a nerve wreck while going under them tests, by the time I had my first infusion I was relieved the tumors will be finally slowly delt with.

Meant to be having my second infusion three weeks later but this is yet to happen as my liver ALP shot sky high. For the last two weeks still showing 877 :-( and only dropped by 97 since then. 

I had ultrasound on my liver last week and was told at the time, it was perfectly fine so another bloods tomorrow to see if the levels of alkaline phosphate have dropped enough for me to be infused. 

I was put in contact with a palliative team a month ago as my lower spine was hurting badly so was told to take daily naproxen (which my oncologist advised me to stop two weeks ago to help the levels of ALP to come down) and currently only on slow release morphine and paracetamol. 

I have done a lot of reading and my abnormal levels of ALP could be apparently caused by the chemo infusion itself or even the bones reacting to the drug. 

I am trying to stay positive and my hubby is very good but lately I have been feeling rather low and concerned about the delay and its effect on my body. 

Apologies for such a lengthy one but I’m wondering if anyone on here had a similar set back?

Thank you kindly, Kate 

• That is excellent news Kate!

Hope everything goes smoothly tomorrow for you, and your liver continues to behave itself.

I hope you post to let everyone know how you get on.

Hugs

Kate

• I promise to update you all further in couple of days Kate x 

• Hi Kate  I haven't got the same cancer as you but I have  incurable sarcoma. Everyone on here has been brilliant with advice and shoulders to cry on and ears to listen to. I have just finished my treatment and await further tests in August so everything is a waiting game unfortunately.

Brilliant news you are able to start the next stage of your treatment though, keeping everything crossed for you hun. We're all here for you xx

• Hello Kate and a warm welcome to the forum from me, that must be a big relief your ALP has dropped enough for you to resume  chemotherapy tomorrow I am so happy for you, I know how delays can play with your mind and moods  I think most of us experience them, so well done with trying to stay positive, I know it can be difficult  but it's the best way to be and its good to hear you have the palliative care team to support you, I've had them for a year and they are fab, best wishes for tomorrow's treatment take care. 

Eddie  xx