A new Hello from Myelomaville - The joys of Myeloma and my first relapse

• 12 replies
  • 66 subscribers

Well, after being nudged by the Macmillan on-line team I have just joined this group and thought I'd drop a quick line to say 'Hello' and give a little overview of my wonderful life - visualise the classic clown car that backfires and the doors fall off! I think that currently sums up our family but, like the clowns, we never stop smiling. Apologies, as this may be a little long.

My wife was diagnosed with breast cancer in 2018 and whilst chemotherapy has been very good at holding the wee beastie at bay, it did get a chance to spread and reach out into the chest and the lungs. She’s on daily chemo and that has been really good, bar some side effects, however there are signs that things ‘may’ be bubbling once again. It’s far too early to say but two lymph nodes are slightly enlarged with, we think, one pressing onto the nerve supplying her vocal cords. We found out only last week the left one is paralysed, and she’s had a chronic hacking cough that she’s had for 7 ½ months now. It got so bad she broke a rib at some stage! She’s coughing away as I type this. However, I have had a play with a bedside atomiser that I’ve used with some oils designed to help breathing. We’re four nights in and the improvements have been stunning to say the least, lots more testing to do to prove it but wow, she’s sleeping through the night now.

For me, I’m the lucky soul with Myeloma, a blood cancer that I’d never heard of before and represents around 2% of all cancers. I was diagnosed in 2019 and this double whammy hit our teenage daughter very hard, she’s still struggling with it now, although there are some promising signs at the moment as she starts to mature and move from school to college.

I had chemo that worked very well and brought my paraproteins down – these are the readings from the blood that indicate the general level of activity of the cancer at any point. We did however have to stop this early, as I started to lose parts of my vision in my left eye, we thought it ‘may’ be due to the chemo but there was no past evidence of the chemo used causing issues like this before. I had some high dose chemo followed by a stem cell transplant which proved to be a pretty brutal five weeks in an isolation room followed by around 11 weeks of being Covid positive – this was when it first really hit the UK in March 2020. I ended up with Long Covid for best part of a year I think, it was hard to tell at some points if the long covid or the myeloma were the cause of certain side effects. The other prize I won was that 24 hours after I had the high dose chemo, the vision in my right eye was also damaged so I’m now visually impaired. The worst thing was that I ended up losing my licence and when I was diagnosed, I was just about to take my advanced motorbike test to qualify to become a blood biker for the NHS – Bummer.

Roll forward to December 2022 and whilst I had reached a form of remission I was always in pain and never fully well. I could however feel a change starting and all the way through this year my blood readings started to show a rise of the dreaded paraproteins. I knew it would come back and it’s something I’ve not been afraid of; I’ve taken it head on and, in all honesty, I’ve had a really good run on the first remission.

I officially released in August 2023 and we’re watching the bloods to see when we start my 2nd line of chemo, as they don’t want to jump the gun and used one of my options up too early. So, as I have a little break before chemo, I am rushing in my 2nd full shoulder joint replacement surgery which is currently pencilled in for December 18th Ho Ho Ho… I am currently practicing to open presents with one hand and my teeth as I’ll be in a sling for a wee while. I’m also going to get the Christmas lights up early also, God knows when they’ll come down though.

Lovely to be part of the group and apologies for the long pile of drivel above. I have a tendency to write quite a bit once I get going.

• Thank you so much. The oils have been a wonderful discovery, as i never expected to see such a sudden change as I have with these. I simply tried my best to get something that may work for her and luckily, I seem to have hit the jackpot with this combination. Let me know if you need the names of the atomiser and the oil as they are on Amazon. I recall having one years ago that did very little for my airways, admittedly the trial came to an abrupt end as I somehow managed to get the power supply caught up with the washing and it went through the washer - End of the trial. Still have no idea how I managed that, although in my defence I was doing some decorating at the time and that's the best excuse i have Laughing

• A, lovely to hear from you and to also hear you are currently stable. I have re-read the earlier post and I now know what Annette was referring to, so I'll get on the case and get that sorted and no doubt give it a dust off and an update.

My daughter has had some counselling through Wessex Cancer Trust, Macmillan pointed us that was as they didn't have any child counsellors in the area at the time. She's also had some sessions with another local counselling service and is now waiting to get onto some new sessions with CAMHS after her assessment earlier this year. She's had some additional issues as I caught a sexual predator starting to grrom her on-line. I tracked him down and had him arrested but the scars are still there and she's suffering with PTSD for that little bundle. The world can be a toxic place at times sadly with these creatures reaching out through social media etc. Luckily I kept an eye on things and jumped on it straight away before anything bad happened.

Now the dark sense of humor has always kept both my wife and I going. She was a nurse and retired due to her health issues, so she's got a tremendous level of humour and outlook on life. I was at sea for many years and that industry, with its inherent dangers, lends itself to dark humor. Some wordsmith many years ago said that being at sea was like being in prison, but with the additional risk of drowning! 

I know many fear death and find it an uncomfortable topic and I respect them for that. It's only in the last month that my daughter has instigated any sort of real conversation about my death. I'm totally open about it and simply accept the inevitable. I can't explain why I'm like that but the people around me appear okay about me talking openly. I certainly dont' force things down their throats or speak about it constantly, but neither do I hide away from it. It may be the engineer in me but two weeks after I was diagnosed, I had all of my advanced decision and statement forms completed and my body was signed over for new Dr's to play with as I didn't want to leave my wife with having to deal with organising a funeral etc. as I'm sure that's the last thing she'll want and yes, I have checked with her and she's in 100% agreement. She still wants a party / celebration though, maybe we should hold one now so I can at least be there and join in!

Thanks a million for the message.