Hello

• 13 replies
  • 66 subscribers

Hi my name is Karen and new to the group, just got my news on Friday and I feel devastated as you will all know. I joined the carers group recently as my husband has stage 3C lung cancer. I was diagnosed 3 years ago with stage 3 melanoma which was successfully removed following 12 months of immunotherapy, unfortunately 9 months into my treatment it had to be stopped as I developed colitis and them polymyalgia. My scan follow up was Friday and got the devastating news it has spread to my lung and can't be cured now. My oncologist is reluctant to start immunotherapy again due to the previous reaction but has given me a week to have a think about it. I have so many questions I have when he calls later this week. I feel defeated already and terrified of leaving my husband to deal with his cancer alone. I just feel lost and numb, thank you for taking the time to read my story so far.

• Hi  

I'm very sorry to hear of your diagnosis but a very warm welcome to the group. No one would choose to join but this is a great group with friendly supportive members. We understand because we are in the same situation.

I have a different cancer to you, if you would like to read my profile just click on my username. It is a good idea to write a profile yourself as it helps others in their replies to you and it saves you repeating yourself. Just click on your own username then profile and save.

I hope you get some answers that help with your decision. Best regards to you and your husband.

A x

• Thank you, I didn't know how to set up a profile, I'll get it done today.

• Hi Karen - l am so sorry to hear the cancer has spread to your lung and can’t be cured now. I’m sorry your husband has lung cancer too. I understand how you feel. It is quite natural. When you get this news it is overwhelming. And it is hard to think of your husband dealing with his cancer alone. My mother is 92 and l am hoping and praying l will outlive her. My brother died of cancer some years ago and she was devastated. She will be alone.  But l think you need to prioritise your worries. Write down the questions for your oncologist. I always email them to her secretary and then she is prepared with answers. I say to my oncologist, if l was your mother, what would you advise me to do? Whatever she suggests, l go along with. I will be thinking of you xxx