• 22 replies
  • 69 subscribers

I was diagnosed with incurable cancer at the start of Jun3, and have subsequently had 4 of 6 chemo sessions. I have oesophagul stomach junctional cancer (small cell so relatively unusual) with liver mets. No other spread and all tumours are responding well to carboplatin and etoposide, with lymph nodes having reduced swelling.

What I struggle with is the incurrability, and what that means, they can't tell me as treatment is ongoing. I have a wife and an 11 year old (I'm 53), and whilst accepting that this will end my life, I struggle with the not knowing. 

After the 6th session, I may need radiotherapy dependent on tumour size and then that's the end of treatment. I will be on 12 week scans and when things get worse, then I suppose I may b3 offered further care, but my nurse team won't talk about that yet.

I am focused on recovery, I am healthy and fit, coping well with chemo and accepted the diagnosis. I am focusing on the here and now, but also living life as normally as possible, I am off work but will be back in Nov. 

Any suggestions or help welcome on 'dealing with it".

Thanks

Liam

• Hi Liam and welcome! 

And yes i am incurable and also incredible , was give 10 to 12 months...well that was now 8 years ago. Still living and now i don't think about dying anymore..if it happens then so it is. Pet

• I am in the same incurable situation. I am undergoing treatment in order to try and slow it down,but it isn’t really working in honesty. 
     I do get the odd day - only the odd day - when I get emotional or scared. Mainly though I stay positive. I have sorted paperwork,got big jobs at home sorted and suchlike. I always try to find a positive each day. 

I hope that helps someone.