Hello

• 21 replies
  • 72 subscribers

Hello,

I am 56 and have recently been diagnosed with cancer unknown primary (CUP) after having a very fast growing lump on my neck removed last month.  As Its CUP, it means that my cancer is advanced,  already also in my lungs and lymph nodes in the groin.  They describe my cancer as ‘aggressive’.

I have finished the first round of chemo and start again a week today.   I am dreading it/ can't wait to get on with it in equal measure.  They won't give me any idea on my prognosis until after a scan following my third chemo session so I'm in limbo.  

Having CUP is also quite isolating as I don't 'belong to a cancer group'.  Its vey difficult to get any information about head and neck CUP so I'm feeling quite alone.

I'm also scared by the term ‘aggressive’. I’m in the unusual situation of being able to see my cancer(!). My neck tumour wasn’t completely removed as it had stuck itself to my carotid artery, so they decided to stitch what remained of the tumour to the surrounding skin and I have an open wound exposing the cancer. During my first (and only, so far), my husband (who does the dressings) said that it had shrunk and the fluid that it produces virtually stopped during chemo but it’s now merrily making fluid again and feels like it’s growing (I can also smell the cancer fluid - it’s very distinctive).  

Does anyone else have experience of aggressive cancer and any stories of hope?

thanks!

• Hi RHS, sorry you have been unfortunate enough to join this motley crew lol.  I don’t have your type of cancer but my oncologist first sentence to me included the words “Unlucky” and “Particularly Aggressive”. Not what we want to hear.  However as you will have seen from responses this is a very helpful part of the forum with injections of humour to make things more bearable. Please share your worries and there will be someone who can help.  I hope your treatment is helping and you have good support from healthcare and friends and family.  

M