Portocath - blood test appointments

• 20 replies
  • 45 subscribers

UPDATE - Thank you for your supportive comments. I have been feeling down and so l really appreciate it. Especially knowing you all have your cancer problems but still make time for others. I eventually got an appointment after phoning the Macmillan nurses again. Staff at the chemo unit were lovely to me today and have sorted out all my appointments, did my blood test, review etc. Made me a cup of tea and biscuits. I saw my Macmillan nurse there also and she has told me to phone them straight away in future and they will book my blood tests.

l have an implanted port. I have had it for about 18 months. It is ok but my problem is trying to get blood tests. The phlebotomists aren’t trained to access blood via a port and they are unable to get blood from my veins. You can’t make an online appointment for a blood test via a port. I usually go to the chemo unit and ask them to do it for me but they don’t like me attending without an appointment. I have phoned them and left a message on their answer phone but they haven’t returned my call. 
Does anyone know what is the correct procedure for getting a blood test if you have a port?