Deborah James - bowelbabe

• 21 replies
  • 54 subscribers

Hi everyone, don't know if you have heard of Deborah James, the former BBC presenter who was diagnosed with stage 4 bowel cancer in December 2016. She also hosted a BBC podcast called "you me and the big C". 

I have seen her on BBC breakfast a few times. She was bright, lively, vivacious and many other similar adjectives and refused to give in to the cancerous mass deep inside of her.

Overnight, she wrote a message online that she hoped she would never have to write, she is receiving home hospice care with her family surrounding her which is how she wants to bow out.

Whatever your religion, or non religion, please set aside a few moments today to remember her and many millions of others the world over who have succumbed to this horrible disease. 

Tvman xx

• She was an amazing woman and a great campaigner for cancer who has nearly raised seven million pounds for cancer research such an inspiration to everyone who will be missed by everyone my thoughts are with her family 

Flippen
  • Hi tvman it's really sad, news I loved one of her quoats, keep on dancing through the rain, so inspirational, what a fantastic lady.

Ulls 

• Hi tvman,

I've just read her 1st book. She was a former Deputy Head. Very sad, she really went through it with all the treatment. Thinking of her family today. RIP bowelbabe.

Amanda x

What is a Community Champion?

I am a Macmillan volunteer. 

Macmillan Support Helpline

0808 808 00 00 

7 days a week between 8am -8pm

• I'm so sad that Dame Deborah James has succumbed to this horrible disease at the tender age of 40, and proud of her unfaltering efforts of fundraising that has now broken through the 7 million pounds barrier. She had set out to raise £250k and through a massive media campaign, that target was obliterated and because of her enthusiasm in raising such a massive amount, she received her Damehood from Prince William and the Duchess of Cambridge personally. 

She has highlighted the dangers of not reacting quickly enough when signs of bowel cancer are ignored. I for one will be checking my poo from this day forward.

Take care everyone

Tvman xx 

Love life and family.
  • On the subject of poo, this question appeared in the yougov survey this week, definitely a nod to her efforts:
    "Do you know the signs of bowel cancer?"

• On the subject of poo, this question appeared in a yougov survey this week, definitely a nod to her efforts:

"Do you know the signs of bowel cancer?"

• It's quite horrifying how many people don't.

By her watch word of "Check your poo" she will leave a lasting legacy, God bless her. RIP Deborah James.

Barb x

Community Champion Badge

Womb cancer forum

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

"Never lose hope. Storms make people stronger and never last forever” - Roy T Bennett

• It is so sad when people with young children die so young due to cancer x

Ruth 

• Hi everyone, I've been having my poo checked every 2 year's, it stops when I get to 75, so only a few weeks to go.

Only once was an anomaly found and I was sent for a camera investigation the camera insertion was not to bad but the blowing up of the gut to examine it was a bit painful, luckily no cancer found.

• I received a bowel cancer testing kit when I was 4 cycles into my chemo treatment. I phoned to explain I probably wouldn't send off this time due to having treatment. My CNS jokingly had said my regime would nuke cancer on my big toe! I've a lovely caring CNS with a great sense of humour and she's become a good friend over the last couple of years.

I still check daily. Before I had my chemo I was often crying out in pain when trying to go and when I saw the scan for October 2021 you could make out the bowel being compressed by the tumour. The last scan shows just a tiny blip.

Barb xx

Community Champion Badge

Womb cancer forum

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

"Never lose hope. Storms make people stronger and never last forever” - Roy T Bennett