Not waiting till 100, and not waiting till gone - celebrating now

• 17 replies
  • 44 subscribers

There was a series a few years ago where Grayson Perry met people involved  some  major life events - birth, divorce, death etc For the guy who was close to death - he arranged a large party of everyone who knew him and Grayson made a huge ceramic pot and everyone had to put a note into it saying what they felt and loved about the man. It was lovely as the man involved got to know what people felt about him , why they cared, and they had a great party too,

I was lucky  as when I retired  my colleagues and friends did me a whole day of celebration, set up without any input from me and mostly secret, with clandestine conversations with family etc,  - quizzes, videos, blown up photos of me at various points in life, a mini barn dance, a lovely lunch, speeches ( longest by me!), presents, a small choir singing " Heroes" by David Bowie (one of my favorite songs) It was crammed with activity and lovely stuff and I was knackered, overwhelmed and incredibly grateful to them for celebrating with / for me. Old colleagues as well as current ones, and some family attended.  I was embarrased at times by such emotion ( being mainly a stoic) but I took it in the spirit  in which it was meant . So I think I had my celebration of life stuff just a few years earlier than the person In Grayson's programme. I still feel grateful and loved as a result of that day, and have the cards they brought and some gifts which I can use to look back on the day and a working life where I was lucky to have lovely colleagues who I valued and who valued me.

So anyone out there got thoughts on how they would like to celebrate life now with people they care about?

• I love the idea of a fake wake! I'm having an open house party just before my next birthday, I'm hoping it's not my last, but if if is it may become a retrospective fake wake! 

Sarah 

• Saw a telly programme where a feisty old bird had a fake wake. She figured that instead of waiting till the funeral for others to say lovely stuff and reminisce she might as well benefit by being there to hear it. I kinda like that.

• Hi Kiwi gal, A friend of a friend decided she was going to have an early 70th Birthday Party because she had been diagnosed with breast cancer and had always said she would have a big bash on her 70th. Now her and her sister organised everything 6 months before her 67th birthday! They didn't expect her to still be here on that birthday. Well what a party that was! It was a Themed Party so everyone had to dress up as either Superhero's or Villains! It was terrific. They even had a cake made that said Happy 70th! Then when her 66th Birthday arrived, a few of us just went out for Afternoon Tea!

Her actual 70th was in February this year and they organised another party with the Theme Police or Burglars, it was also amazing. It just goes to show, no one can predict the future! We are now expecting another party next year!

Love Annette x

Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery, Today is a Gift!!!
  • I have arranged a lunch time party for 80 people in July  to celebrate our 40th wedding anniversary. It is also my 70 th this year. I would like a party with everyone and see them all before it is my funeral x

Ruth 

• I'll see you on your 75th. Xxx

• We're the same age Ruth. I'm trying to think of something special too in July for my birthday. Hope you've been feeling better and managing some sleep. Thinking of you.  Rainie x

• i am feeling a bit better thankyou

Interesting we are the same age.

i want a party this year to see all my friends that I don’t normally see regularly.

the party in July will be for our 40th wedding anniversary and my birthday is in December which is not so good for a party. I hope you can have some sort of celebration xxx

Ruth