This'll be a Christmas I won't forget - Part 2

• 15 replies
  • 45 subscribers

Hi All. Hope you all had a good Christmas!

I had to cook Xmas dinner wearing a turban as my hair had started dropping out in earnest on Xmas Eve. I got hotter and hotter but dinner turned out fine.

On Boxing day I ended spending up 3 hours in A&E. My cat bit me on Xmas Eve - he tapped me for more tickles, his claw caught in my bracelet and he panicked and bit me twice. I had some antibiotics in which I took to reduce the swelling and phoned the out-of-hours Chemo suite on Boxing day to find out if I should discontinue the antibiotics in case it interfered with my chemo on 31/12. The nurse phoned me back after a short time to say the Oncology Dr wanted me to go to A&E perhaps for a rabies jab, certainly for a tetanus jab and antibiotics and blood test. The chemo suite nurse said she's alert the A&E dept. that I was coming as it'd take me 40 minutes to get there.

I might have had a blue light on my head. I walked into A&E looking a bit lost (never been in one in my life) a nurse asked if I needed help. I explained, she said are you Barbara? and she got me to check in reception and they were with me in minutes. Took blood pressure and sats, then had canula fitted, antibiotic drip. Doctor did a comprehensive examination and asked loads of questions. They decided I didn't need a rabies jab as it's my own cat, but would need a tetanus jab and a course of different antibiotics and gave a prescription to get filled the next day. Everyone waiting must've been wondering who I was to be getting such 1st class treatment but to be fair they all seemed to be getting same level of attention.

It's a real eye-opener sitting in A&E on Boxing day the saddest thing was a young lady, probably in her 30's who had Alzheimer's and her friend couldn't go with her to have the CT scan. Everything was at the discretion of the Sister who was brilliant keeping the patient calm. 

Despite all Boots branches locally stating they were open on 27th they weren't so ended driving around most of Lincolnshire at the same time making phone calls. I phoned the Chemo suite nurse to see if I could stick with the antibiotics I had and she said No, I had to take the new ones. A few minutes later she phone me back to say Boots in Boston were open, they had the item in stock and were open until 4pm so another 2 hour round trip to get prescription filled. Heh Ho!

Anyway today had Covid swab, tomorrow Blood test then next cycle on Friday!

At this point I can't praise our wonderful NHS enough. 

Onwards and upwards, Hugs, Barb xx

• Crikey Chelle, that sounds terrifying, thank goodness you didn't have Bella with you. Are you going to report the owners?

We've had dogs since the 1980's and I'm normally confident around most breeds however our dog at the moment, a Scottish deerhound whom we took on when Hubby's daughter's marriage broke up, doesn't display many of the characteristics of the breed unlike the one we had years ago. (He was so laid back he was in last week!) Jeffro however is likely to react if growled or barked at & I'd have trouble holding back 45kgs of dog! Therefore I'm always treading on eggshells when I see someone coming in our direction, especially when hubby could hardly walk a month or two ago! 

Anti-biotics are doing the trick, just off for blood test. Can't say I'm looking forward to it but know what to expect! 

Hugs to all, Barb xx

Community Champion Badge

Womb cancer forum

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

"Never lose hope. Storms make people stronger and never last forever” - Roy T Bennett

• Yes I reported it to the dog warden, if it had been a child God knows what would of happened. The dog warden knew who I was talking about, so obviously not the first time it’s been reported. 

Good luck with the bloods, glad the antibiotics are working xx 

Chelle 

Try to be a rainbow,in somebody else's cloud
    Maya Angelou

Community Champion badge
  • Gosh Barb you have had an eventful time. It sounds like your NHS did you proud but such a shame you had to go trekking about to get the drugs. We'll all be thinking of you as you gear up for the next challenge. Take care. All good wishes to you for the New Year and you make sure you give yourself lots of treats inbetween the grotty bits. Onwards and upwards. Rainie x

• You've just experienced my worst nightmare as I'm not a doggy person. However, we do have animal rescue friends who've had staffies for years and they taught us to ignore them when we went in and only to acknowledge the dogs on our own terms. That seemed to work so made us feel more confident around them, but strange snarling dogs are frightening. Glad you made the report. It's the bad owners who need taking to task. Thank goodness you're OK.  Rainie x

• It sounds as if your doggie rescue friends really know what they are talking about, it took me years to realise this is the best way to deal with most dogs, but as you say strange unaccompanied snarling dogs are another matter

Sarah