Thinking back to day of diagnosis.

• 19 replies
  • 50 subscribers

Hi everyone,

My wife is night-shift at the moment and at 2am this morning I was still awake with no sleep near me. My mind was still active and my thoughts drifted back to March 2020 when my wife and I were told the news I had advanced prostate cancer, straight into stage IV. It got me thinking, what the hell happened to stage I, stage II & stage III ? I am not bitter at my diagnosis it is what it is but I wondered how long I have had prostate cancer before it was discovered. Regardless of which type of cancer you have, I would be interested to hear from anyone who has/had similar thoughts as I had this morning? Thanks.

Take care, Tom. 

• I was diagnosed with stage 4 bowel cancer, despite 5 Years of intrusive tests and symptoms to boot. Was I misdiagnosed?. Not sure because doctor's didn't ignore me. They ran tests. A friend did one of thoes home kits and was diagnosed on the follow up. So despite tests running in to thousands of pounds on the NHS, not to mention the reasurance of NHS and private gastroenterologis ts and about 100+ Gps, im now terminal. 

the TRUTH is , ive convinced myself that some people get lucky or unlucky. You see similar stories everywhere. No test is 100% but i found myself in the 1%...well somone has to be.

the take home point is this....Theres no room for regrets or blame. You are trying to find reasoning behind the time before diagnosis. P roblem is you wont find it.    Life sucks my friend at times. Hearthe truth is the only way is forward. Yesteryear wont come back....PEACEHeartHeart

• Just  incredible. Another one for the get your own back list.

• We never forget moments like that it stays with us 

Ruth 

• Well for me my PSA score was a bit raised so they sent me for a prostrate biopsy, let me tell you that’s a real pain in the ar*e.  2 months later they did a follow up ct scan and found a mass on my kidney. Had that removed they said it was grade 4. The most aggressive type of cancer so they wanted to remove the rest of the kidney to be safe. Had that done and the rest of the kidney was cancer free. Time to celebrate my near miss and get on with life.  First 6 monthly scan and bam it was in my spine and terminal.  

Richard

be safe, be nice, be you 

• Hi everyone,

I would just like to thank everybody who took the time to answer, very much appreciated. I read all your replies with interest and they help me focus on this terrible journey we happen to be on together. Thanks again.

Take care, Tom.

• Hi Tom, The diagnosis is what we all have in common here. Although the cancer type may be different, I'm sure we all remember that day!

I can't understand why these people become GP's, throwing people out their surgery and telling them by phone. What happened to the part of the oath they made to "never cause harm"! It is shocking!

I hope you will keep posting Tom as there is a wealth of knowledge within this group, right at your fingertips to tap into!

Love Annette x

Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery, Today is a Gift!!!
  • The bedside manners of some medical people always amaze me. At my lowest point after my second batch of surgeries I experienced over a single 24 hour period one person from the palliative care team visiting me with a Respect form to sign; a registrar asking me if I wanted to be recussitated and a consultant telling me I was too ill for further treatment and should be thinking of spending quality time with my family. Whatever he recorded in the Ward book left the nurses in tears and they all came in and hugged me. I thought,' That's it then'. 

Then my other consultant came and gave me a talking to. The polar opposite. It was not the end and I wasn't to think it was. He'd lost count of the patients he'd known who had turned things around and he was convinced I'd be one of them. He even called me on my mobile when he was off duty to see how I was and reassure me. And I believed in him. 

And as soon as I got home I turned that corner and now have been stable for the last two scans. Everytime I see him I feel energised by his attitude and positivity.  The difference between two doctors in the same hospital.   Rainie x

• I'm sure some don't realise the power they wield when making their observations and their occasional throw away remarks. Some of them revel in their bluntness. I don't wish terrible things on them, I would just like a bit of consideration when my life is being discussed. 

I feel a pity fest looming!

• But on here we can build our resiliance by being there for one another, despite what insensitive individuals might throw at us. You all reinforce my strength. Rainie x