De- cluttering

• 16 replies
  • 47 subscribers

I have never been one to put much value in "stuff, but like most of us, over the years I have accumulated a lot of it. I have been trying to get rid of stuff bit by bit - bag of books to charity shop etc, but it is bloody hard work and I am coming to the conclusion that I am lazy too. I heard someone on radio talking about having had to clear 6 elderley residents houses, none of whom had made any plans for aging and death. I really want to leave my kids as little painful de-cluttering as I can, and every so often I do make more serious attempts to get rid of stuff. I have also told my family that I don't want any Christmas presents this year - just more things I can live without, and often end up re-gifting ( such a nice way of saying I am a tight git) or giving to charity. The hardest things for me to get rid of are books and cds, but I am getting better at the book clearing, If I am honest I know I wont read most of them again, and there are new books for the reading - which I am more likely to get on Kindle now ( my one interaction with the pernicious Amazon).

Anyone else made active plans to de-clutter, and what are the items you struggle to let go?

• My mother would have pleased that all her lace making stuff went to other ladies that make lace and could still be used. X

Ruth 

• I did manage to sell a lot of my mothers furniture and radios microwaves etc on gumtree and the people just came and picked them up. I sold them for a low price but it got rid of a lot of stuff. China is different . We did sell some at an auction but went for next to nothing. I would rather someone made use of stuff. I took a lot of in date food to the food bank 

Ruth 

• Lace making. Now there's a skill. Saw some in Nottingham where my in-laws lived. Amazing. Rainie x

• Hi @Rainieday,

Your father in law sounds like he was traveliing light in the end- just slightly too light maybe. Re-homing your printmaking equipment must have been hard, but we all have to be realistic about what use we have for things, and it is great someone else could make use of it.

I got a local charity to take a spare bed and wardrobe away on Tues - they pass it on to people in need for free, so I felt good about that. I now have an empty room which after 2 years of thinking about decorating, I might actually get round to doing ( or getting someone to do). Yes, I agree, energy levels are definitely higher in the morning - afternoons can be for snoozing!

I have just discovered that somewhere along the line I seem to have de-cluttered all my philips screwdrivers and only have flat heads - sad as  need to assemble a dog bed for my latest new possesions!

• We decluttered a lot when we down sized the bungalow even my beloved classic Mercedes 350sl convertible had to go and my 3D printer.  Loads of our photography equipment went and there’s a bit left to sell.  

Richard

be safe, be nice, be you 

• Ha! your spare room sounds an ideal place for making art and for snoozing!  Rainie x