End of treatment

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 57 replies
  • 52 subscribers

Had a long talk with my Consultant today, it should have been a face to face appointment but I didn't get the appointment, just an appointment for chemo tomorrow.

My Consultant doesn't think there's any benefit in trying another chemo. It doesn't cross the blood/brain barrier, and although my latest scan shows more tumours in my liver, it's the brain tumour and spinal cord cancer that are the problem. The chemo is usually fairly well tolerated, fatigue and sickness, hair loss and risk of infection are the main side effects. I've had 3 bladder/kidney infections so far this year and 4 hospital admissions with complications from chemo, so am high risk of another hospital admission.

So we've made the decision, no more cancer treatment. I feel well, in fact better than I've felt in over a year of chemo, and am sick and tired of always feeling sick and tired.

My Consultant says chemo is unlikely to give me any more time, but the risk of infection for someone in a wheelchair with a permanent catheter is very high.

We've talked about this day as a family and now that it's here I feel confident it's the right decision for us.

It'll be hard to tell our sons and my twin sister, but there's nothing to be gained from flogging a dead horse. My brother had his op on Wednesday, and has been moved to another hospital to deal with a collapsed lung so it's a difficult time for us. I'd like to be as well as possible for as long as possible so that I can see my brother when he's out of the woods.

If things change and I start to get symptoms from the cancer in my lungs, liver or spine I can change my mind. Otherwise I'll be posting in the End of Life forum and don't really know what to expect from here on. We're having a stair lift fitted on Thursday so I'll be able to have a bath and shower, one of life's luxuries.

Need to finish the Memory Walk,I'm so grateful for the donations from here, especially as so many charities are struggling at the moment. xx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

Morning  thankyou for your lovely message. We had also been celebrating because the first person we saw when I came out of hospital said chemo could give me 6 months of relative good health, & that felt like a lottery win. It got us over a difficult time though. I can’t believe we’re down to weeks, again, like you, the steroids are giving me energy as well as helping with the pain. I feel the best I’ve felt in 2 years.

My Consultant says very few people chose quality over quantity, most want to keep going with treatment till the bitter end. My family are 100% supportive of my decision. They’re finding it hard because I appear so well even though the cancer is progressing, but are so glad I’m getting this time of feeling well. 
    It’s good to hear you have a supportive family too, and to know that we’re not alone.
    The only thing is I don’t know what to expect .The cauda equina that led to me being in a wheelchair was a medical emergency. If the spinal cord cancer is the major risk does that mean there’ll be another emergency at some point with it’s symptoms depending on where in the spinal cord the cancer is active....The first Dr said it was more likely to be a gradual decline which sounds better at the moment.

Today I’m going back into York to meet a friend and do a bit more of the Memory Walk. I’m so grateful for this time, I hope we can both make the most of it for as long as possible and leave our famies with lots of happy memories xx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to anndanv

Morning  you’re absolutely right, I can already feel the benefit of saving energy.

My legs are getting much weaker already & I’m struggling with transfers. I have my own unique way of getting in & out of the bath, but it didn’t work yesterday. I ended up sobbing on the bathroom floor & couldn’t  get up. Luckily my OH checks that I’ve got the phone on me constantly & was there straight away. My sister had a wet room & I suppose we should look into that.

I’m sorry your gardener didn’t turn up, it makes me wonder how they get any clients! Have you found anyone else? My garden has all sorts of things coming through it’s exciting. We’re having our first BBQ on tues, the forecast is 21* and constant sun!
    I’ve bought a little pet carrier for Sula so that when she does need to come up only knee she doesn’t slip off. She’s so good with the chair now, just need to get my sons used to it. 
    Have a good day xx

• A wet room is definitely a good idea or a walk in shower with a seat in it works well.

lovely to have a pet carrier for Sula xx

Ruth 

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to anndanv

I love that saying 

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

I love that saying,

Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery, Today is a Gift!!!

thank you 

• Hi Tinalay, I'm so pleased both you and Sula are enjoying your lift. The experience you described in your bathroom is a familiar one to me. It happened to me too and that was the last time I had a bath. Now before (you know how) comments about how dirty I must be. We put on an extention downstairs to add a toilet and shower room. I decided on a walk in shower, as Ruth described, with a folding seat attached to the wall and a couple of grab rails too. What helped with the decission was that we stayed in a B&B that had a wet room just as my legs and balance were getting worse. Even with the grab rails, I felt as if I  was going to fall and found it quite scarey. I love my shower room, we got the tray sunk into the floor, so there is no step or lip to step over and I have a chair next to the exit to sit on while I am getting dried. 

I am not sure about England but in Scotland if you have fitted a shower or wet room, or have a room you use to store equipment like oxegen etc, if you fill out a Form you get a reduction in your Council Tax. We had ours for a few years before the OT in the hospice told me about it. We applied and were delighted to get a full band reduction and they even backdated it. Which was a lovely surprise!   At first I had a bathboard that goes accross the top of the bath to help you get in and out but eventually I couldn't use that and got stuck in the bath, I let the water away and wrapped a towel round myself and phoned my husband in tears! Thankfully he, like your OH insisted I take my mobile everywhere! Thank goodness!

Love Annette x

• Hi Mick g, Yes I really liked that phrase when I first read it which is why I added it to my signature here. Especially in this Group it is very pertinent to live each day as it comes!

Love Annette x