Double whammy update

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 60 replies
  • 49 subscribers

Morning all, we have a dusting of snow today, looks lovely although it's only 1*

After the initial shock of my brother's diagnosis and the disappointment of my last scans showing disease progression in the brain & liver tumours things have settled down.

My brother is having 4 cycles of aggressive chemo and then a break and repeat PET scan to see if he's stable enough to be offered surgery which he's been told is his only chance of survival. Nothing's definite till it's definite as he's also in a tier 4 area and the hospital is stretched to the limit.

I started my 5th line of chemo, oral Capecitabine, to try and slow things down. The 1st cycle was ok but I had problems straight away with the 2nd cycle. Half way through & having only managed a little over half the dose I rang the chemo nurses and was told to stop taking it. I had constant nausea, a day of vomiting despite medication, mouth ulcers, palmer/plantar syndrome, so bleeding finger tips and painful feet like walking on broken glass. I was alternating between no sleep at all to 14 hours one night and could not get warm. 

I've heard oral chemo referred to as "chemo light" but that certainly hasn't been my experience. if I wasn't such a lady I would swear!!

I'm seeing my Consultant on Thurs and have no idea where we go from here, or even if there's anything left to offer. I could have stronger medication to manage the side effects, perhaps steroids, but that medication has it's own side effects....

On a positive note my hair, eyelashes and eyebrows are growing back and we've got the pain management under control BlushFingers crossed

xx

• Hi tvman,

sorry to hear the news of your blood results. I am surprised they haven’t put you on ferrous sulphate. They don’t seem to do anything unless you are below 100 and now are reluctant to transfuse unless it is about 80.

It is good to eat food with iron such as green leafy vegetables such   as spinach or kale as well as red meat.

I sometimes am anaemic and have taken iron tablets in the past when my ferritin was low even though the Hb was ok.

mine Hb seems to be dropping and I get my bloods checked every month or sometimes every 2 months. 

it is a worry for you to be neutropenic I hope it improves next time. It is scary to be worried about any infection. But you know the signs to look out for.

xxx

Ruth 

• Tvman, you can't just commit a hate crime against the Vikings. That was their culture and you probably would have been in the front with a big axe if you lived in those times!

Right, eat all your greens from your garden and get your count where it should be. Good luck.

• Hi Ruth ruthjp

Although I am classed as anaemic, and rightly so, having haemachromatosis means my body doesn't deal with iron and deposits it in major organs such as the heart, liver, kidneys and pancreas to cause major ailments in them, even death when the iron is deposited in the heart muscle long term. My ferritin is somewhere between 500 and 600, when my brother's is over 60 he's brought in for a venesection to bring it down to below 50. A venesection is simply blood removal. I'm anaemic and I can't have blood removal because my bone marrow that is the brains behind blood production, is faulty and not producing the goods properly. 

Oh, and Norberry, I like the Vikings and their culture. I met some in Norway but they did convey the defective HFE gene to populations of Northern Europe. I'm afraid they're guilty as charged.

Take care and stay safe everyone.

Tvman xx

Love life and family.
  • Sounds complicated. A Shane you can’t take iron hope it improves 

Ruth 

• My mum has haemochromatosis, I didn't realise it was a Viking thing, I will tell her!

How difficult to have two issues that need practically opposite treatments. I hope that your blood counts improve.

Best wishes 

Sal x

Sarah 

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember
    • latest news, I was transferred to Leeds this morning (blue light ambulance) for urgent radiotherapy of Malignant Spinal Cord Compression. The aim of the treatment is to stop the loss of function. They’re hoping the leg weakness may improve but my bladder function is unlikely to. I can live with peripheral nervous system limitations, many, many people do including  and  as long as the pain can be managed.

Back to York tonight for observation, and we should know in a couple of days if it’s worked xx

• There are a lot of people on here crossing everything. Please let it be great news. Xx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

Dear Tina

I hope it all goes as well as poss

XX

• Wishing you all the luck in the world. 

Stuart x

• Best wishes for the best possible outcome.

Sal x

Sarah