Introducing myself

• 14 replies
  • 54 subscribers

Hi everyone, just introducing myself after lurking for a while.

My name's Stuart, I'm 52 years old and I live near St. Helens in Merseyside. Recently diagnosed with transitional cell carcinoma in my left kidney with lesions on both lungs, so uncurable. Unfortunately TCC is a rare type of kidney cancer, so there are few treatment options available. I'm waiting for pre-assessment to begin an 18-week palliative chemotherapy program (6 cycles of 3 weeks each), which has a 50% chance of reducing my tumours. My curent prognosis is 18-24 months.

Anyway, I'll probably mostly lurk but I'll chip in if I have anything useful to say.

Much love and best wishes all. 

Stuart, 

• Thanks Kdon24.

Just got my pre-assessment appointment through for Friday and my first chemotherapy appointment for next Wednesday. 

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi

its great to meet you although as others have said, I’d rather it was somewhere else. I’m glad you feel calm. Not everyone does. Many go into a complete tailspin when faced with the news they have incurable cancer. 

One of the things I often point out to new members is the importance of remembering the difference between living with cancer and dying of cancer. I’d say you’re living with cancer right now. I think it was one of the most important things I gave my family was the attitude that I was living with cancer. 

Please don’t feel you can only chip in with something useful. You’re allowed to rant and rage here and let out a howl of existential angst. We are here for you.  
    Lots of love 

daloni xxx

• Thanks daloni.

I'm really glad to read that you think that attitude is a gift to the family. I feel that by being calm and offering my support to them (while some of them are less than calm) I am helping them, but also really helping myself. Much better to focus on others.

I have been reading your posts, and your calm, loving attitude is a complete inspiration. Take care.

Much love,

Stuart,

• Hey Stuart

Welcome but so sorry you and, indeed, everyone else has to be a member of our little group...

It is a good thing, in my opinion (for whatever that's worth), that you are keeping positive.

I have chosen NOT to know my sell-by date as I would surely try to deliver on that date... (yeah, tell me about it - who'd be a control freak with terminal cancer????))

But I have identified areas where I am able, at least in my mind, to exert SOME influence over my adv4sclc, and this includes the following;

1: Positive Mental Attitude. I ask my oncs many questions about best practice and possible options and what I can do to help things along

2: Healthy diet (if you don't count the choccies and Ben & Jerries..)

3: A fair amount of exercise. (I'm Gymming mon-fri for an hour each. my weights and reps are about 35-40% down on what I did prior to discovery ((April 2020) but I feel soooo much better after - and I really HATE the gym!!!!!!)

So, as Daloni says, this is all about LIVING with cancer because as sure as 'eggs is eggs", the dying will pretty much take care of itself...

Be strong...

SiT

Stay Strong

SiT