great hospice care

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 11 replies
  • 43 subscribers

Well i might be repeating myself so i apologise for that, after i got the bad news that the cancer had spread to my brain i was told that maybe gamma knife could help but only along side more conventional treatment (chemo) so that was a no go. The lung nurse refered me to pallative care the same day which was a friday. On the monday i received a call from our local hospice and a lovely lady came out to see me on the tuesday. We had a long chat about my wishes which are to pass away at home if at all possible. she said this can be done with the help of the district nurses, my gp and the hospice nurses as and when i need them. She renewed my blue badge that day and it arrived just a week later along with a new bus pass. She also refered me to occupational therapy who came to see me a day later and organise a couple of hand rails, a perching chair, and a walker on wheels with a seat to help me get around safely as i am very dizzy and often need to sit and take a rest. I already have a mobility scooter which my hubby bought me a year ago which has been invaluable in giving me some independence. I cant quite beleive how fast everything happened and i feel so lucky to have such services near me. I also spoke to my gp and now have a dnr in place as we both agreed that it would be of no value to me to be reccucitated should the worse happen.

I am now on steroids and various painkillers to try and stabilise the pain from the brain tumours which was pretty horendous before the steroids were started. my eyesight has really gone downhill and my arm has started a whole new dance of its own. I cant remember things and i repeat my self a lot so i am told.  

We did manage a couple of days away last weekend in our caravan at york so we werent far and family helped with the couple of things we cant do so that was good, we came home a bit refreshed but i find myself reluctant to go out as i feel safe here in the house. 

Its so scary knowing that nothing else can be done and that im at the final hurdle. But having said that i have had six years that i never thought i was getting so i count myself as lucky. Well its taken me ages to do this as i cant see well and sometimes what i intend to write turns out different. I f some of this doesnt make sense i appologise. Hubby has bought me a new laptop and someone is coming later to set it up si can talk to it instead of typing so that shoul make it easier. Love to all who are struggling and hope things improve foryou. Lynn 2.

• Good morning , it is nice to read that you’ve been getting good support from the lung nurse and the hospice, and that you’ve managed to navigate a post here. A new laptop must be exciting too, I don’t use a laptop much, my daughter moved to Japan 5 years ago and left one here that I use occasionally, and I’ve just realised how old it must be ! but with little use it looks amazing. 

I am incurable but not struggling, so it’s good to hear when people feel they are being looked after well, I hope the pain killers and steroids keep you comfortable for a long time, and that you can practise here lots with your new laptop.

Take care 

Take care KT

• Hi 

It is good to hear from you and that you have managed to get so much organised so quickly.  I am pleased that the support was so readily available for you when you asked for it.  It is nice when things work as they are supposed to as all to often this is not the case.

I have not been on steroids but have heard very mixed things about them.  I understand that they can be very effective but can keep you awake at all hours and you can end up with a bit of a moon face.  As for the other things I often repeat myself but my wife tells me that this is not my memory but because if I enjoy a story I want to tell it even if others have heard it all before.  Well it works for me!

I also appreciate little trips away where we don't have to travel so far.  The pleasure of being somewhere different without all the stres of travelling a long distance or dealing with things that you are not familiar with such as the different language, currency and customs you get when you go abroad.  Don't get me wrong, I love to travel abroad but we often slip in several more local trips as well.  We had to cancel our overseas holiday but before the end of the year we have a week in Whitby and two weekends away, one in Scarborough and one in Skipton.  I have no doubt that you are familiar with all three destinations.  I'm pleased you came back a bit more relaxed from your break in York.

One of my colleagues used to use a voice to type programme ten years ago and it was supposed to be quite good then but I understand that they have progressed a lot since she got hers and are even easier to use now.  It will be interesting to hear what you think of it and to see how you get on.

I appreciate that this is very difficult for you Lynn and I have no doubt that you have your times when you struggle but to me you appear to be coping well.  I know that at some point we will all have to face this and hope that I can do so as well as a lot of the people on this site have done.

Sending love and hugs,

Gragon xx

• Hi Lynn,

I have been trying to reply hope it works this time 

Ruth 

• Hi Lynn,

It is so good the hospice is there for you we need to feel we are not on our own.

i also have brain and lung mets and gamma knife and chemo are no good for me . I am going to take a drug called ATRA which I have researched and can help people with my cancer adenocystic carcinoma .but is used normally for people with leukaemia. It may or may not help. I tried a different drug for 7 months and I ended up very ill and the scans showed it didn’t help.

i do get forgetful . I had to stop driving and my eyesight is affected 

please let us know how you get on 

love xx

Ruth 

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi Lynn, Not sure if this is working ??? As it's not showing my name. I'm sure we have met on one of the Boat Meet Ups?? BUT if I'm losing it forgive me. This is awful news for you and your dear family and it is great to hear your GP and Hospice nurses are being so supportive. I also got this thrown at me last Friday - almost getting the initial diagnosis all over again isn't it. Like you I have done SO well with targetted biological meds - 7 years in December. It's not a competition - honest. Sgnificant growth since last scan, kidneys running at 44% and now the brain mets. Onc says the side effects of chemo outweigh the benefits - so decision made!! I went to see my GP today with my kids 43 &40 to reinforce the pathway we agreed on when I was given 3-6 months in 2013. Waiting on seeing my Mac Nurse on Monday to see where I go from here. I've had no pain with my brain mets (poor you for that double whammy) but do get very dizzy and, like you forget things and mess up typing. Thank you for the info about voice activating for the laptop. Will look into that. 

I've just started on Dexamethazone (steroids) and having had steroids of a different type before, they usually make me buzzy- so I have started to set my alarm for 6am and taken them along with a bowl of cereal & then got a good 4 hours more sleep after that. See what they do for you BUT may help you  to do it that way- who knows.

I do hope they help you and I'm pleased again that OT etc have been able to help so much.

Lets keep in touch??

Love and commiserating (((hugs)))

Diz xxxx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

Hey Dizzie, lovely to hear from you, how strange to end up with more or less the same thing eh. the steroids drive me nuts n make me nasty on occasoin !! cant shut up lol. if you want to ring for a chat i will private message you with my number, be good to keep in touch, im feeling quite lonely at the mo due to no groups or therapies open cos of lockdown xx

• Hi Lynn 2  I am so sorry you have found yourself in this situation! It's great the GP and Hospice are looking after you properly by the sound of it! I just can't praise them enough, they were fantastic. Their Occupational Therapist said I should get a stair lift because I of my mobility being so bad. I kept saying no, it's fine, I don't need it yet! She advised me not to wait until I couldn't do without it as these things can take some time to organise. Once I said yes,M she put the wheels in motion. I realise without the stairlift we would have had to move house and I love our house! I also used their counselling service.

Lynn I'm really glad you have support behind you. I would invite you to be a friends, IF I knew how to do it!!

An extra 6 years is amazing, I am also lucky and well passed my sell by date! Just enjoy every minute of every days While making memories with your family!  love Annette xz

Love Annette x

Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery, Today is a Gift!!!
  • Annette, click on Lynn2, you will see her profile, click on +connect (it’s on the right in her profile) click on request friendship. 

Lynn2 can then accept your friendship request ( if she wants to).

Hope this helps

KT

Take care KT

• Hi KT thanks for that info! Is there a user guide somewhere I can access as I'd like to save my email and password, like I did on last website but don't see a button on log in page! I hate not knowing how to do things! Thanks again. Xxx

Love Annette x

Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery, Today is a Gift!!!
  • Hi , annette I had a notification just of you asking how do you save your email and password. I do this on the devise I’m using so that I just click into the box and it auto fills for me. When I enter my password on an iPad it asks if I want to save it, it saves the email and the password.

Take care KT