How do i get into this

• 41 replies
  • 46 subscribers

Well i do not know what i am doing

• Hi , it’s a bit new for all of us, but glad you had a try at starting a new discussion, I wondered who was going to be the first Grinning

Take care KT

• ph KT to old to learn new things but will give it a go

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi ellie    Its now midnight I've just been able to get on. After most of the day having Chemo its the last thing I needed. May have to say more tomorrow. TOO TIRED Love to all who manage the new format. Goodnight C J

• Hi Ellie, I hope we will soon get used to it, it’s just a bit late in the evening, but I couldn’t resist having a look before going to bed. 

KT

Take care KT

• Hi All,

I tried to have a look a few times last night but gave up eventually knowing that every system upgrade at work over ran it's predicted time.  I came on this morning and it looks promising.

I had a quick look at my friends list and am pleased to see that it is both in alphabetical order at last and that the thumbnail pictures are big enough to see.

I like the fact that I can see all the previous posts in a thread when I type making it easier to namecheck someone.

I am not sure what I am supposed to do with the up and down arrows?  As I hover my cursor over them it indicates "vote up" or "vote down".  Why would I want to vote on someone else's post?  I'm sure that I would not like someone voting on mine.

I also found it a bit of a struggle tpo move from the online community to the information pages and managed it in the end by clicking on the link in the green area at the bottom of the page.  Not a place I am used to going for links as in most sites this contains corporate information.

Hopefully it will be more reliable than it was but it will take me a little while to get used to it.  I suspect it might be a while before some people get through the resetting of their password and re-join us here.

All the best,

Gragon x

• Hi , I know Annette  has had trouble getting on, as she messaged me, I hope she will join us soon. The up and down buttons were a feature with this upgrade that I don’t think Macmillan want to keep, the button are used on other sites a bit like a like to say how useful a reply is, and they don’t want the down button used as that’s not very supportive. 

I found a frequently asked questions bit which mentions it so I thought I’d put the link in below, it mentions some things that are different on the site.

https://community.macmillan.org.uk/help_guides/w/faqs

I like that in ask the expert it’s only the expert and the original poster that can post in their question and that there’s a one year time limit on how long posts are there, I think that’s good as cancer treatment does move on and old info can be incorrect and disheartening. It’s also good that if you ask an expert it’s the expert that answers as sometimes people used to stumble across that section and give a well meaning reply but not what the poster was asking for.

I have found I keep logging out of the site and get an orange message instead of the purple one, I don’t know if that’s my WiFi connection though, but it’s very quick to get back in when that happens.

Have you noticed that the signature doesn’t print at the end of your post, it shows if you hover over the posters name, Im not sure how useful that is.

Take care

KT

Take care KT

• Hi ,

Thanks for that about the voting, I'm pleased to hear that it is to be removed.

In the past the system has regularly taken me offline and then reconnected me.  It does appear to be happening more frequently now.  Id had done it when I attempted to post something and although I tried to post several times it failed to post and eventually I was logged out.  I logged in again and was taken straight back to my post which was still there and not deleted and allowed me to post it.

I did try to ask a question in the "Help Group" but found that very confusing and ended up coming out without doing so.

I wonder if you know about the other information at the top of the info if you hover over the username.  It says "0 points and Top 1%".  If you hover over the Top 1% it says that "You are currently in the top 1% of members.  The top 50% are highlighted in the community."  Is this something else which relates to the voting as it is something which appears quite concerning whatever criteria they would be using?  I would either like more information or the section removing.  In have e mailed the community team to see what is going on but I expect they are inundated with questions at the moment.

I had to change the format of my password as I didn't have a special character in it previously.  I simply added a ? to the end of my previous password.  You might want to see if Annette has a similar issue.

All the best,

Gragon x

• I tried sending a message but it did not work

Ruth 

• Seems to be working for me now 

Ruth 

• Hi KT,

Something else to mention is that you replied to Lynn2 as I was also doing so and when you posted I could see your response before I posted mine.  I'm sure this will be useful.  I know I have posted in the past only to find the situation has changed by the time I have sent my reply.

Gragon xx