Cake Tasting, part 2.

• 12 replies
  • 42 subscribers

So.... My memory is terrible sometimes! Lol. I remember talking on here about the first cake tasting I did for my friend's upcoming wedding, and I remember promising people that I'd tell them about the following two tastings. But I don't for the life of me remember who I promised, or if it was thyroid people, or what was going on. So I figured better safe than sorry, and I'll post it here too! 

I find it quite funny that I was out at a diabetes prevention class in the morning, then slept for over 4 hours - boo to chronic fatigue, then made 4 different sugar filled cakes. And today I'm doing sugar filled icings and fillings! Lol

So those are the cakes I made last night. From top to bottom we have:

• Real chocolate and ground pecan
  • Vegan chocolate and mixed nuts
  • Chocolate and Peanut Butter
  • Chocolate, Mayonnaise, and Chunky Pecans

I've just made two different icings because they weren't overly enamoured with the icings from last time. One is a mango and brown butter, while the other is kaffir lime and lemongrass. 

Then through the day I need to make a chocolate chip cookie dough filling, 2 chocolate icings, a peanut butter Swiss meringue icing, a vegan icing, a peanut butter icing, a chocolate cream cheese icing, and a peanut butter ganache.

I might be mad, but it'll all be tasty! Lol. Once all the icings are done, I'll send a pic of them! 

Lass

Xx

• Hi Oh the family your friend knows, seems ideal! I didn’t expect your hospice etc, to be just as far away. Like DALONI I hate waste and just wanted your delish baking to go to someone who will appreciate it, rather than have to throw it away, especially after all your hard word! They would have been a real treat for whoever got to eat them! Good luck finding an interesting filling for your 3rd cake. Something tells me you will find a perfect one! Have a good rest over the weekend!

Love Annette x

Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery, Today is a Gift!!!
  • Hey Annette, 

If I could drive and had a car, then the Macmillan centre is only 2 mins away, the hospice between 5 and 10 mins. So if I could self propel, perfect plan! (Though these cakes are nut filled, and people can be funny about accepting things with nuts, but I'd still have tied! Lol) But I'm totally with you on waste, I hate throwing anything out! I even make carrot top pesto so I don't waste the green bits when I grow carrots. Lol. But not 1 person replied to my FB post offering them free cake. Says a lot really, people don't even want to see me for free cake! 

But I've found a filling! It's going to be a marbled strawberry cake, with raspberry mascarpone icing, filled with rhubarb and vanilla jam, covered with sliced almonds. The sliced almonds are apparently because as a kid, the bride would be bought a slice of strawberry cake that had sliced almonds on the edge for her birthday. So she asked if I could put them on the edge, so I said of course. So now just need to choose the cake and icing recipes, as they can vary so massively!

And yeh, def resting. I've slept for most of the day today. Just couldn't stay awake at all today. But a friend should be bringing me some rhubarb tomorrow so that I can make the filling. Because by the tasting and the wedding, I think rhubarb will be out of season. 

Looks like I'm going to be stuck home alone for a bit. Too many people around sniffling kids, suspected covid 19 people, or sniffling themselves. Fun fun.

Lass

Xx

I have no medical training, everything I post is an opinion or educated guess. It is not medical advice.