The elephant in the room

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 18 replies
  • 49 subscribers

As you know I have had a rough couple of weeks with what is probably simply a chest infection. 

I have been on a number of different wards, mainly due to bed issues, and the difference in how I am treated is quite stark. 

Oncology has not had a presence much although they doctors all end by saying that's where I should be. 

I have had a number of scans and it seems that every time they turn up they ask if anyone has gone through them with me, which they haven't. Today I pointed to the 2 doctors that came yesterday and said they told me the scan was fine. He looked then said well there are some changes some deposits which could be causing the chest pain but not much more. 

Whilst I have been in here my cancer meds were stopped and it is already 3 weeks. To me it's no wonder there are some changes but no one is doing anything to sort this out. The answer to this apparently is to get me discharged asap so I can get onto oncology and get back on my meds. 

I know my oncologist is on leave this week but do you think I can ask to speak to someone who understands cancer. Deposits ?? Enlarged lymph nodes?? - is this not just down to the infection. 

I guess I will need to wait to see the oncologist for any real update but I just thought I would take the dust sheet off the elephant for a while before I go back to just getting over an infection. The medics seem to either want it all the elephants fault or to ignore it all together. 

I have a very bad feeling that they are going to stop my meds again. Too much time on your hands to think about the bad things when you are hooked up to temperamental drips.

Let's see how things go I might take my elephant out for a stroll tomorrow. 

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

Dear

glad to hear things are looking up a little bit, it’s hard to get answers at the weekend so hopefully you’ll get some more information tomorrow, so hang on in there until then. As you say the doctors don’t want you to discharge yourself , but you have got their attention now and that might be enough to improve the situation. Keep focussed on your goal which is next week as motivation.

• FormerMember

Maz,

That is appalling.  Unacceptable. Can you get your husband to stay the night with you? At least then you know someone will be there to respond if you have any problems, and he can raise hell until they are dealt with. And contact oncology tomorrow & arrange to be moved there. 

You deserve better than this. And you should not have to discharge yourself while you are still unwell in order to feel safe. 

• I am shocked and really angry on your behalf. I agree with Lass that PALS isn't enough.

How can there be no doctors? It's supposed to be a hospital. It's poor, dangerous and no one should be subject to such appalling treatment.

I hope you get home soon where you will be safe

Xx

Flowerlady x
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to flowerlady

Hi

I am so sorry to hear how your nightmare in hospital isn’t just continuing but actually getting worse. You poor thing. 

For what it’s worth, my experience of hospital is that it’s never easy to get a clear answer because no one tells you anything. Last time I was in with a kidney infection, I deteriorated rapidly. The nurses spotted it and bleeped the doctors who came running. I could here them talking over my head and then they turned to leave. So I asked what was happening. The young on call doctor started to talk but he was standing and I was lying curled up on a flat bed, unable to move so I told him “you are going to have to come down here to talk to me because I can’t get up there”. He did then crouch down so I could hear him. 

The advice we are so often given is to trust the doctors, we are in the right place. But tbh I think in your shoes I’d be pretty sure both were wrong. 

I do hope you managed to get home today. 

Lots of love xxx

• Hi Maz, how are you doing? Are you home yet? You're so quiet...

Pet

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Pet1968

Yes I finally managed to get home and my family have arrived to visit for half term.

I am feeling much better now I am home but I still have most of the symptoms and I really don't understand what really has gone on and what is happening. 

I am due to see the oncologist on 5th March and am feeling I just want to hide my head in the sand for a while. I have a terrible feeling they will try to stop my drugs again. 

I also feel that I do need to address at least some of what happened in hospital with the relevant people but need to take stock first. 

Things are never easy. 

• Oh well , so it sounds like all what you have gone trough in hospital was for nothing?? That's not right.

I wish you that your family will spoil and love you to make you feel better.

Hugs Pet

• FormerMember

Hi

I am glad to hear you’re at home and hopefully being spoiled rotten. Taking stock is a good idea. I find writing things down and putting the writing to one side for a few days before reading it through can help this 

Lots of love 

xxx