Tears

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 46 replies
  • 45 subscribers

Hello 

I was at the hospital the other day to see the NHS Consultant and as I was leaving the unit someone was bringing the bell they have to signify their treatment is over and people were clapping. I burst into tears and think I may have starled a few people. A nurse came over to ask if I was alright and I said my cancer would only be over when I am dead. I asked if ther realised how hard it was for people like me to see and witness this. She said she had thought about it a few times and would mention it at their next staff meeting.  I dont expect anything to change and I guess I was just feeling vulnerable. Tomorrow I have a scan, so will have anxiety on waiting for the results and also blood tests to check if I am okay for my next round of oral chemo.  On a lighter note I am going with my husband to Buckinghamshire to visit our month old granddaughter, so looking forward to the weekend but it will be in my mind the while time about my scan results.  

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to IamLyn

This programme. Death at the mansion. An you tell me a bit more about it? I don’t get Sky.

• The cancer research ads are never going to include people who are terminal or incurable, because none of their money goes to looking after them, or seeing them through their last days. 

Macmillan could do that, as the Macmillan nurses and the community here are with people through to the end. 

But generally the point of the cancer research ads is to get money to keep looking for life prolonging meds and even cures in some cases. So you show success stories to say "See what we did with your money? We cured that person. So if you give us more, think how many more we can cure!"

Lass

Xx

I have no medical training, everything I post is an opinion or educated guess. It is not medical advice.

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Lass

We can’t drive the point home any better than what you have just put. It’s well put. If MacMillan is reading this discussion, then maybe they can start showing a advertisement for us, the uncureables. Maybe the hospice should start one, Marie curie too. There are frustratingly people who are ignorant of the word terminal.  

• Hi  Belated birthday wishes, good to see you had a happy birthday!

You mentioned you liked the cinema. Did you know you could get a CEA card, for disabled, which costs £6 for the year but entitles you to take someone with you free of charge. If you go with a friend then you could just pay a half each to get in. There are a lot of cinemas in this scheme, Odeon, Vue,Cineworld,Showcase etc etc. If you like visiting the cinema, this is well worth getting. I found out at my hospice, they had forms there but you can look it up online. You need a copy of your PIP allowance letter plus a photo to send.

You can email for details to  info@ceacard.co.uk

Love Annette x

Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery, Today is a Gift!!!
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to anndanv

Thanks for the cinema tip. I shall that. The last film I saw was Little Women. I loved it. It was my favourite book as I was growing up.

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

Just watched Coronation Street, it’s just finished with a MacMillan advertisement in which it’s states that cancer doesn’t care if you are old young or an child. It doesn’t care about you but MacMillan does. They make it clear they support you. Then left at that. Realistic. It’s the only advert that doesn’t deliver false promises.