Tears

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 46 replies
  • 45 subscribers

Hello 

I was at the hospital the other day to see the NHS Consultant and as I was leaving the unit someone was bringing the bell they have to signify their treatment is over and people were clapping. I burst into tears and think I may have starled a few people. A nurse came over to ask if I was alright and I said my cancer would only be over when I am dead. I asked if ther realised how hard it was for people like me to see and witness this. She said she had thought about it a few times and would mention it at their next staff meeting.  I dont expect anything to change and I guess I was just feeling vulnerable. Tomorrow I have a scan, so will have anxiety on waiting for the results and also blood tests to check if I am okay for my next round of oral chemo.  On a lighter note I am going with my husband to Buckinghamshire to visit our month old granddaughter, so looking forward to the weekend but it will be in my mind the while time about my scan results.  

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hello Ellieellie,

I know exactly what you were feeling. I sat mortified the other week as someone rang out. And I know it's just me being a bit oversensitive but even the cancer research advert where the lady gets told that she no longer has cancer by her consultant sets me off but also sometimes makes me a bit angry as not everyone is going to ever going to get that news. 

Wishing you luck on your scan results. We all hate the wait! Fingers crossed. 

Have a fab time with your new granddaughter. Special times to cherish will put all this out of your head for a while. 

Fishy 

• Heart

I have no medical training, everything I post is an opinion or educated guess. It is not medical advice.

• Hi folks

I was so relieved to see your posts as they reassured me that I am just human and not a monster!

I have friends who have had treatment and are now cancer free and have met others who have rung the bell at end of treatment. While I know I should be thrilled for them sometimes I'm not. I'm just annoyed that it won't happen for me!

I have also found that sometimes those who have successfully completed treatment find it very difficult to accept/acknowledge or even contemplate my situation. I do understand that everybody's experience is different and my reaction can change depending on where I am in a treatment cycle, how I am coping with the chemo, when I have had sepsis or if I'm waiting for scan results.

So, sorry for ranting on a bit and thank you for reading this. Best wishes to you all. 

• Hi Everyone, Like Lass, I'm a believer in hope! When I hear that bell, I think "fantastic, someone else has beaten the odds!" I always try to look for the good things but it depends where you are and how you are, whether you can find them or not. But you at least have to try! I wouldn't wish this on my worst enemy (if I had one! Lol!). I do hope lots of people keep ringing that bell and one day they might invent a cure, who knows!

Love Annette x

Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery, Today is a Gift!!!
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to anndanv

this struck a chord, I’m so so sorry you were so upset but I am the same.  The worst bit is I kind of hate myself when I feel like that, it’s such a horrible emotion, not to be happy for the other person - cancer has done that to us too, it is not the people we are (not sure I’ve made sense there).

i hope your scan goes well and you have a lovely time with your granddaughter....thinking of you lots xxxx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

Hello Roobarb

Yes it does make sense, and you are right it is  a horrible emotion. I should have felt happy but I think envy overtook me.. its knowing that I will never 4ing that bell.  I think whoever thought of that idea in the first pla e didnt think it through. I have had my scan done this morning and will bet results next week. My BP was very high although I have just started blood pressure tablets a week ago and my phkse rate but they think that is because of the scan and the dye they out in. Just waiting on blood results to see if I  an be given next round of oral chemo.  It never ends. Seeing  oral surgeon a week on Friday to have tooth at back removed. Nit allowed to have my Denosumab injection until healed. Will be antibiotics for that. So fed up with all this and I am sure I am not the only one. It's hard to remember my life pre  cancer at times.

Hope you are as well as can be.

Ellie x

• Totally get it. 

I’ve got prostrate cancer which has spread to my ribs. There are a number of things which get me

1. When first diagnosed the nurse repeated over and over the aim of surgery is a cure. Those empty words ring over and over in my head at night now I know there is no cure

2. Ignorance of some people, Prostrate cancer is the one that’s easily cured - true if contained. But once left the prostrate area no

3. As you say the bell. I didn’t come across that at my hospital, might have been lucky, but the knowledge that I won’t have that moment of being cancer free rather something I hope to live with for many years to come (no one knows how long)

I do feel glad for those who are cancer free but it also rubs

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to YoungMan

This discussion has hit a nerve.

that bell ringing has haunted my mum since she went with me over a year ago to see the oncologist in Lincoln. We never heard of the bell ringing procedure before and my mum just broke down. She sobbed that she was never going to see me ring that bell. In the carehome she keeps saying it. I don’t have any idea how much it may have affected her. As for me, I think there should be a bell in a more private room where they can ring it. But I’m glad people can ring it. Lass is right, the bell means hope. But it still jars. My neighbours next door, Brian has prostrate cancer, his sister in law has breast cancer. None of us are ever going to ring that bell. 

I have just thought of something...a little spiritual image has popped into my head. I believe in God and heaven. I just pictured someone arriving in heaven, free of all their cancer, free of all Bellhope suffering of this earth and an Angel holds out this bell for them to ring. Who says we won’t get to ring the bell Bellhop in heaven?

• Hi ,  and 

My heart goes out to the three of you and anyone else who is in the same boat. It's completely understandable that you feel that way because your mood is low and the bell touches a raw nerve, it happened to me but in an entirely different way.

I was upstairs in a store in Peterborough with my wife and approaching a lift when a little girl of about 4 years of age ran excitedly away from her grandmother I presumed and pressed the button to call the lift. It was just like she had turned a tap on behind my eyes, I immediately thought of my grandson who had just been born and I would never ever see that happening. Thankfully my grandson is almost 4 now and when we're together, I encourage him to press buttons everywhere.

Like , my hospital doesn't seem to do that either. Although the day I go, it's blood cancer day so I think perhaps a blood cancer isn't going to be able to be cured, so no bell.

Just before I go, there's more chance of a cure being found for you than finding an enemy! 

Take care all

Tvman xx 

Love life and family.
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

That's a lovely idea Jackd, I haven't heard a bell ring in ARI but if I ever do I will think of someone in heaven ringing it. If I get there I will ring it in Morse type  code spelling out  how much you all mean to me and how I look forward to meeting you, but not too soon I hope!! Love to all, Pat (shortfriend) xx