Next step

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 37 replies
  • 46 subscribers

Hi chaps, I need some of your fabulous advice and guidance.

I'm a 57 year old single mum (18yr old)

I was originally diagnosed with stage 4 ovarian cancer 2018 which has now spread to the peritoneum and has been diagnosed incurable. I'm in the middle of receiving taxol and Avastin and awaiting the results of a CT scan.

I'm signed off work and am receiving statutory sick pay plus PIP maintenance and have been completely unsure where I go from here.

My work is really supportive as this is the 2nd time in a year I have been off work. My job is really physical and not very well paid but I get to help young people in their education which is really rewarding. I'm not sure if I will ever be well enough to do the job again or if this is the time to retire sick. I hardly have any pension and I'm concerned that my financial situation will get worse than it already is. I don't know what I would be expected to live on so making the decision to benefit my health or my wealth is confusing me. 

I was wondering when you made the decision to not go back to work and how you manage to pay the bills. 

Ive been reading some of your really useful posts on here and in particular about planning for your funeral. Is there a way to pay for a funeral on low income?.

I feel I'm at a crossroads where I need to make some decisions about the future but I don't know what that future is. I know many of you are further down the line and may offer some worldly advice. Thank you. 

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Lass

Hiya Lass,

I've heard of ESA. So this is what helps cover the bills, that's good to know. I already get a little bit of help with housing and council tax so I expect that would get re-assessed.

Thank you for your help. That's one less thing to worry about.

Fishy xx

• Heya, 

Yeh, as a single person in the Leeds Council area, I get £400.05 a month to cover rent. (It doesn't cover my rent however) Then council tax is fully covered too.

Then these are the ESA rates.... 

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/benefit-and-pension-rates-2019-to-2020/proposed-benefit-and-pension-rates-2019-to-2020#employment-and-support-allowance-esa

So as you scroll down, the enhanced rates are the ones you get if you're on PIP, and which depends on what sort of PIP you get.

You could ask the Macmillan financial/benefits advisor if you can both retire on medical grounds and also claim ESA. Or if it's just one or the other. See which makes you better off financially. I'm paying into a private pension myself, just so I'll have something later in life as I'm only in my 30's.

Lass

Xx

I have no medical training, everything I post is an opinion or educated guess. It is not medical advice.

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Lass

Aw brilliant! Thanks Lass,

that's really helpful, you are a peach finding all that out for me!

I will ask the advisor about the retirement on medical grounds/ESA eligibility. It's exactly the sort of question I have no idea about. Got to make the right choices for sure.

Your help has been invaluable. 

Fishy

xx

• Hi ,

I can't remember the exact criteria but I do remember the rates vary but I was only ever looking at full retirement so the others were a bit out of the question for me.  I do know someone who retired from the police on medical grounds and received a part pension although they went on to work full time as a gardener so there is something about a changing role.

It is worth asking the Macmillan advisor for a full assessment.  PIP is not means tested and if you are eligible you can claim it now even though you are working.  If you are eligible they will advise you how to get a DS1500 which gives you an automatic claim with no need for an assessment.  I don't know if you have any but they can also advise about claiming on any life insurance policies.  This can depend upon whether you have critical illness cover or terminal illness cover but can cover your mortgage if you have one.

You may also wish to advise them of the difficulties with your HR department.  If you received less money than you should have due to their mistake they could advise you of your rights regarding this.  They will also advise you of the employers responsibilities during your application for early retirement on medical grounds.

All the best,

Gragon x

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Gragon

post has reminded me, my local council has a macmillan benefits person, the hospital emailed her the DS1500 and she applied for everything on my behalf, it was very straightforward and I didn’t even need to lift a finger, the DS1500 is a bit grim but it means you skip all the assessment stages and in theory are fast tracked.

• Well worth talking to someone from the government's free pensions advice service too, pensionwise.gov.uk to discuss all options regarding pensions. Making the right decision is crucial.

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Gragon

Hi Gragon,

I had no idea that part pension was even a thing. I've certainly learned a lot today. 

Macmillan CAB sorted out the non-means tested PIP for me which has been invaluable with helping pay for all the taxi travel as I don't own a car. 

My HR dept haven't made a mistake as yet they've just been noticeable by their absence. I've not seen or heard from them since going off long term sick last October. The last I had heard was that the Occupational Health doc had requested information from my Oncologist back in Sept. I assume that is to prepare in case of early retirement on medical grounds.

Thank you for your help

Fish

x

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

Oooh I will check out the council too thank you Roobarb. You never know my council might have too fingers crossed.

Cheers 

Fish

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to ownedbystaffies

Definitely ownedbystaffies, don't want to mess this up. I will be dedicating next week to getting informed. I don't have much so no room for errors. Thank you for the link.

• Hi Fishtrombone

I was diagnosed with a blood cancer in 2015 at the age of 57 but I felt well enough to carry on working, even though my doctor said I should leave and the surgery would take care of all necessary form filling. 3 months later I was diagnosed with a lumbar condition which 4 months later put me in a wheelchair. Those two events in combination led me to have several sessions with a counsellor. I was a bit of a mess, an emotional wreck. 

I had been doing the same job for 35 years and I was self employed. I had an employee for 20 years who had three young daughters and I didn't know how to tell him, although he guessed that I wouldn't be able to carry on working as walking a lot was an essential part of the workday. He's now a caretaker in the school that his daughters attended which is a big relief. Thank goodness I listened to financial advise from an Independent Financial Advisor (IFA) in the early years and I had two pensions that the IFA had set up as well as a sickness scheme that paid me for 2 years when I finished working. . 

I asked MacMillan for financial advice, I also contacted the Citizens Advice Bureau, and made an appointment with a financial advisor from the government's free pensions advice service, Pensionwise. Of them all, the MacMillan advice centre in a hospital just outside Belfast were the most helpful in terms of benefits advice. They filled in forms such as for DLA as it was before PIP. 

I'd advise you, Fishtrombone to contact MacMillan benefits advisors, they're fantastic at what they do. I know others have given the same advice, I'm just giving credence to their replies. 

Good luck, Fishtrombone, stay around for the ultimate support group help Slight smile and let us know how you get on please.

Tvman x

Love life and family.