Confusion reigns

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 22 replies
  • 47 subscribers

I am sharing this as I am currently feeling rather unwell, tired and frustrated. 

Having returned from hospital and had to sort out getting all my own dressings and trying to get over the original illness and hospital stay I am now tackling the day jobs. 

First of all HMRC  apparently I owe tax for year 2018-19 as I got ESA contribution based allowance, first letter dated 17/10/19 says I owe £776 next one dated 28/10/19 says I owe £25. after I finally got through I am accused of being irresponsible for now knowing I needed to pay tax on ESA then told I am illiterate because i could not find any mention on the letter of how it should be paid. When I asked them to tell me where on the letter it was stated of course it was not. also the ESA was done by DWP for me when I went to half pay at work and once I drew my work pension I only got £20 a week ESA so how this amounts to £776 tax I have no idea. I am however told I have to pay it as that is what their records show re the second letter this is of course a mistake on their part no apology some people are just so rude. Well especially at this time of year I don't have that kind of money to pay them so I will pay it off slowly when they send me some payments slips especially as it is more likely than not wrong anyway. 

Then I open a letter from the hospital which states I am to pick up my chemotherapy meds tomorrow. as my Ribociclib was stooped in July and I have had no meds since so I rang the chemo unit. Well not only am I picking up meds tomorrow I was told this will be the start of my 3rd cycle. Surprise, Surprise. I had a glimmer of hope that perhaps funding had been reinstated for my Riboclclib but no apparently I am on Capecitabine and Vinorelbine in oral form. Now last time I saw my oncologist was last week when he admitted me to hospital and I am next due to see him in Dec to discuss possible meds and he gave me some info weeks ago on Paclitaxel and a port implant. The lady I spoke to eventually accepted that I had not had these meds and was totally unaware of them , although I did have a failed attempt on Capecitabine about a year ago but it caused problems with my heart. I have now been asked to return to hospital to see the oncologist tomorrow. I am a bit worried,firstly as I am not much better this week than last week when I was admitted except my burns are healing, secondly I do not want to be rushed into making decisions about meds especially if my scan results are not back. 

After dealing with these 2 items I have put the to do list to one side sorting energy, broadband etc will have to wait. 

Why can things not just be simple for a change?? 

• Can I signpost anyone who is struggling to understand benefits and how to apply etc to a fabulous website called benefits and work https://www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/ they offer clear guidance on what benefits are and eligibility. They offer free basic information but they are also excellent at offering advice via online guide documents to help people fill in the forms for ESA, PIP etc with the relevant information. The assessments and forms are deliberately difficult and people need clear guidance. You have to subscribe to the site to get the best detailed information, but it can be well worth it to get the relevant guidance.

Of course CAB are excellent too, but having info easily available online can be great.

• Hi and thanks, Tvman, WB & Maz, You explained things beautifully! In actual fact, all this just lets me know how lucky we are, as we have never been classed as a "low income family" so that is the reason I had never heard of it!

Maz, In my opinion you should not be thinking of paying off the tax bill you received until they detail to you in writing exactly how they have reached this figure they've come up with! They can't just think of a number! They have to be able to explain every penny to you!      I would be writing to them (not phoning) so that it is on record you have asked for an explanation and how they know the first larger amount is not the mistake instead of the lower figure! Don't let them off the hook! Seek help as others have suggested from CAB or McMillan financial department and they will probably write on your behalf or at least draft a letter for you! Good luck! You certainly don't need this!

Thanks again!

Love Annette x

Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery, Today is a Gift!!!