I confess (a sleep deprived cynical post)

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 18 replies
  • 47 subscribers

Well as I lie here waiting for a team of interogators to arrive I am castings my.mind back over the last few weeks to see what it is I have done. 

I must have been captured some time ago and given a deadly cancer. I know I have endured a number of drugs that made me very ill and then when one came along that worked I was led to believe I was to be saved and even have life with few side effects to endure. Oops you silly thing that was just a joke no funding for the drug to continue. 

Where are we now well that op you couldn't have 15 months ago the cancer has grown and spread enough now for us to cut it off. While we are at it we will give you another dose of those drugs you are allergic to and watch you go through those withdrawal symptoms again. Wound just about healed next comes the Radio Therapy treatment. Don't worry you had it before you could get a little rash like sunburn but it'll be fine. Forgot to say it could actually be really bad acute radiation burns weeping oozing sores, hard cheese you got the latter. Why don't you ring the breast care nurse good idea, they can't help, what did they say "they are not an emergency service". After trying to get help unsuccessfully hospital admission urgently needed prodded, poked cannulas in. Bed eventually found great a side room rest at last. Sleep that isn't what you are here for no you have to stay alert if you want to get those drugs you need as they have been forgotten again. To help you stay awake the light, which will stay on all night is positioned right above your bed shining in your eyes. Out side is the nurses wash basin and sink with a pull off towel dispenser. 

It worked I am now ill, suffering and totally sleep deprived. Whatever it is I am definitely going to confess and hope they will go easy on me. 

Eventually I know I will be so grateful for what has been done for me but just now I am probably loosing my mind and possibly the will to live. 

• you paint a vivid picture, I didn't know whether to laugh or cry reading your first post, but it actually makes me really angry because so much of what you went through in hospital is completely avoidable. Regardless of NHS cuts or staffing levels you should at the very least be able to rely on basic care.

So glad you're at home. Not giving you the very expensive dressings you need is a false economy, they can't compare with the cost of a hospital admission. It's appalling that you can be given RT and then NOT  given the appropriate treatment for severe complications. I would jump up and down, stamp your foot and demand some more of those dressings.

I hope you're feeling much better and getting some proper rest. Sending you a big hug. xx

Tinalay 
    Every bad situation is a blues song waiting to happen.
    Amy Winehouse.
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

Dearest maz

i have had terrible problems with my breast wound ,infection and had to have an op under general anaesthetic for total debridement ,could see my ribs 

have been dressing it for a year ,it is now a pin prick ,at the beginning you could have fitted a fist in there ,anyway I digress. I have been looked after by tissue viability nurses ,both in the hospital and at home . My wonderful nurse at home prescribed all sorts of dressings from our local pharmacy,including the silver ones ,ag is organic formula for silver , can you ask your gp for this dressing or ask to see a tissue viability nurse to sort you out ?

not sure where you are in the country ,the irony is I have spare dressings ,no one is allowed to take them back ,( hospital,nurses,or pharmacy ) and you need them

hope you are sorted ASAP 

my problems started from seroma after mastectomy ,not helped by radiotherapy,but not originally caused by radiotherapy 

remember to keep the package your dressing came in ,so if it is good you know which one you need prescribed ,there are so many dressings it is easy to get confused

i was a pharmacist in my former life but was a long time ago and dressings are a minefield

hope you are improving

positive thoughts as always

janet

xxxxxx

• FormerMember

That was what I was given by radio therapy department when it was decided I needed admitting. But they did not have anything to hold it in place with and as soon as it got covered in gunge it just moved about and fell off. Apparently it is very expensive so I was told like I could do anything about it but I did try to hold it in place. On the ward however they didn't have any and after 3 days they managed to go back to radio therapy who would only give them 2 small dressings even taped together they did not cover quarter of the area. Again I tried to hold it o. As they did not have a bandage to fix it in place. 

The pad I got from my chemist on prescription was far superior and I was able to buy a bandage for £2 to keep it in place. Again apparently they are super expensive as they contain silver and I was only given 2 but they cover the whole site and already the site is dry and no more blisters have formed. 

Not quite sure what is going on now as I am not bouncing back as quickly as I hoped and don't feel well with one unusual / embrarassing  symptom. 

• FormerMember

Rather irrelevant but it is my 2 year anniversary of being diagnosed with breast cancer ,don t think I ll light candles on a cake !,,,!!

• FormerMember

I had the same problem ,but kept it in place with my front fastening  recco mastectomy bra ,it is quite tight and being front fastening I can sort position of dressing easily 

I had to buy the bra but it has been worth it s weight in gold ,bought it on line 

sometimes they have them to give away in breast department 

hope you feel better soon

xxxx

• FormerMember

No chance of wearing a bra just yet the burns were quite extensive. Under the armpit being the worst so it would just flap over the edge of the bra armhole rather than going into the depression. 

• FormerMember

Sorry maz,really feel for you as i had similar problems,but not as bad 

accentuating the positive ,the air is good for wounds ,as long as you are warm enough and wound is not dripping (horrible picture ) 

xxxxx

janet

• FormerMember

Just thinking about that, there was a time when me going topless might have been a welcomed sight by quite a few but after a lumpectomy, mascectomy and radiation burns the sight would probably instill nausea rather than lust. Probably enough to make the window cleaner fall off his ladder. 

I have to say though I had a bath today and got rid of quite a lot of the dead skin and the new dressings are definitely working. In fact it is these cold like symptoms and chestiness that is causing the most problems now.