To raise a smile...

• 22 replies
  • 46 subscribers

So today I was napping on my recliner, as I often do in the afternoon, especially after a busy period. Next thing I know, my burglar alarm is going off and all three cats have shot off my lap and chest in fright - ow.

It takes me a minute to register what's going on, as I'd obviously been in quite a deep sleep. So the TV is flashing on and off, my house phone is bleeping away and making the noise it does when the handset gets mains power, my alarm has stopped going off, but there are lots of others in the street going off.

Gotcha. 

It's a power cut. 

No worries, these things are normally shortlived, oh, bladder has woken up so might as well nip to the loo. Press the button on the recliner to bring the back up and the feet down..... Nothing. There's a power cut, this is an electric recliner. I'm stuck. I need a wee. 

Uh oh..... 

30 mins later, the situation is urgent. Time to bring out those ninja skills to get up from the flat out recliner. But the blanket is fighting back! 

We are now almost 2 hours later, and still no power. But I can hear kids coming and screaming trick or treat, so better go! 

• Hi ,

I hope that you are now all fully powered up and ready to reward yourself with a hot meal.

We had put a few decorations out so did not have to resort to lurking behind curtains in ambush or taking a dog to hunt down small children but we didn't get as many callers as usual.

When we moved to this street there were quite a lot of small children so lots of the houses were engaged in Halloween.  Our son is now 14 and went to a Halloween party last night rather than Trick or Treating and most of the other children down the street did something similar.  When I looked out of the window only about two other houses had any decorations out so I suspect that we are now off the main route for door knocking.  There are not many small children living on our street at the moment.

The silver lining! buckets full of sweets left over and needing to be eaten.  I may not eat a proper meal for a couple of days.

All the best,

Gragon xx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Gragon

Oh Lass, I hope by the time I've joined the conversation u r free from the torture chair. Shitemare springs 2 mind.

We didnt have anyone 4 Halloween (not that I was organised anyway & husband is a grumpy chops about it). We stay on a main road & 2bh not really any young families at our end.

Uni daughter is off 2 a belated Halloween party over the weekend & her & her flatmate r meant 2 b going as "beer pong" although the actual costumes haven't bn assembled yet.

I fear a phone call coming 4 that 2 also go along with this weeks catastrophes - "my tyre is flat" (2 new tyres that cost me £120!!), "my spag bol is 2 watery" (pour out some of the liquid) & the debating problem... (read & re-read her plan & notes whilst in my hosp bed).

U gotta love ur kids.

Lass - hope u made it into bed with no puddles Wink

WB xx

• Lass, you should write a book! You made us all laugh and I can't think of many people who would see the funny side of this straight away. A day of pampering and delicious meals for you with full heat  and power. Did you save the contents of your freezer?

Daloni that's a great way of joining in the fun. I was teaching from 6-9 and didn't see anyone trick or treating on the way to work... lots of fireworks though.

Ladies, consider your antics as your auditions for the panto! You both sailed through with flying colours and are in!

WB no need to audition, your incontinence pants boob tube got you straight through ;)  xx

Tinalay 
    Every bad situation is a blues song waiting to happen.
    Amy Winehouse.
  • Sooooooo....... 

Got out of bed about a half hour to an hour ago as hips have had enough bed action. Headed downstairs with my body heat warm hot water bottle made at around midnight. Figured I'd refill it then splat in the recliner, watch some rubbish or other, and plan what little jobs around the house I'd do. 

I empty out the bottle and leave it draining in the sink, then head for the kettle and flip the switch. No blue glow. Hmmmm. Fuse? Try the kitchen light. Nothing. Still might be a fuse..... Try the sitting room light, nothing. No power to the TV or free view box. Multiple expletives. 

Power cut. 

Phone 105, get through all the bumff, learn it has been out since 4am, and they plan to get it back on by 10. It's 10:18.... Liars! Press the button to speak to someone and get the useless information that it's affecting 150 odd houses, it's a low voltage fault, blah blah blah..... Don't care, when's it coming back? Hoping for 12 ish, they've got a road dug up somewhere and are replacing a cable.

If they get it on for 12, my freezer will have had just under 4 hours of power in the last 21 hours! Should all be fine. Hopefully. 

So, I'm back in bed, under a duvet and a blanket to keep warm, because it's cold and damp today! My weather app has it as 7 degrees and foggy. Def foggy! Cats are helping though.... 2 just covered me in snotty wet sneezes! Lovely! Lol

At least I'm free to pee as and when I like this time! Even if it might freeze on the way out..... Lol

Send warm thoughts! 

Lass

Xx

I have no medical training, everything I post is an opinion or educated guess. It is not medical advice.

• Oh heck Lass. It sure is chilly damp today, bed seems best place to be. I hope you get a hot meal soon. 

Xx

Flowerlady x
  • I have a fun sized Twix! Lol

L

Xx

I have no medical training, everything I post is an opinion or educated guess. It is not medical advice.

• Power just went out again. 

Guess where I'm sitting. 

This is getting old now...... 

Lass

Xx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Lass

Noooooo! You need to rig up a pull up bar above your recliner so you can heave yourself up. 

I really hope the electricity comes back soon

xx

• Would you like me to come over tomorrow with some supplies or just a big hug? I can get a lift & be there in an hour.

We can put the world to rights and you can tell me how to get bombshell red hair as mine has faded already to copper if I’m feeling generous but probably ginger xx

Tinalay 
    Every bad situation is a blues song waiting to happen.
    Amy Winehouse.
  • I might be going to a craft fair tomorrow in Morley, waiting to see what the weather is doing as well as how my lift is feeling. Plus, my house is a state. Lol.

However, are you free on Sunday? There's a farmers market on in town that I was going to go to. You could come along and we could get some more dye for your hair. Then head back to mine, which I'll have sorted tomorrow lol, and I'll recolour it for you and we can chat and have a munch on something. Just so long as you're OK with cats! Lol. 

Lass

Xx