YOU NEVER KNOW THE MINUTE!!!

• 149 replies
  • 49 subscribers

Hi Gang, Well the day before we went to Salou for a fortnight, I had my six month check after my spinal decompression op. They took an X-ray and the surgeon admired his metal handiwork which is now holding my spine together. He was very pleased and told me there would be no need to make a further appointment but I could phone his secretary if I started having problems. So off we went on holiday!  

When we got back, there was a letter from him asking me to contact his secretary to make an appointment as he now had the written report for the X-ray. I phoned and was told I'd need a CT scan which they had already booked for me as well as a further aptm for his clinic to discuss the results. The latter was last Monday 28th! On the X-ray & scan there was a shadow just at the bottom of my right shoulder blade. The consultant examined my back and felt a lump. He explained that he was going to take a biopsy to be sent away but after the scan, he said it was too deep to do it with a local anaesthetic so suggested surgery to remove it with a GA then they will send it for biopsy.

Next he said he had arranged to do the pre-op assessment there and then, which came as a bit of a shock as you can imagine!   However, that's it done and now it's just a case of waiting for a date to get it removed! I phoned his secretary once we got home, to tell here we had booked to go to Manchester from 5-10 Dec inclusive to see the Christmas Markets etc but I also said I didn't expect to get word as quick as that but was just letting her know anyway! We all know urgent can mean 6-12 weeks with the NHS, so I won't hold my breath!

So there you have it! I've had a few other lumps etc removed in the six years since stage4 dx but this is the first they can't do at the clinic with a local anaesthetic! Up until Monday we hadn't said anything about it to our son and daughter and to see "that look" again on their faces was heartbreaking! I'm trying to be upbeat about it, smiling and saying it could be nothing of course! Any prayers, I would be grateful for, they certainly can't hurt! This will be my eleventh surgery but you never get used to it! Take Care everyone!

• Hi Annette,

i cant remember what this op is for .

hope you are ok.

it is always nerve racking having an operation and the visits beforehand which suit the system but not you.

any way best wishes and let us know how you do.

i am eventually on this targeted drug called lenvatinib and it has raised my BP but hopefully I will be able to keep taking it because it does give some hooe

love Ruth 

Ruth 

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to KTatHome

Hi

Oh pooh to pesky nodes. I hope it is just a blip and that you end up feeling silly as promised. 

Lots of love 

xx

• Hi Ruth, The day Before we went to Salou on holiday I had an appointment with the spinal surgeon as a six month follow up to my spinal decompression and stabilisation in March. He did an X-ray to look at his handy metal work and was pleased. However when we came home from holiday 2 weeks later there was a letter to contact him. The written report of the X-ray had been sent to him and highlighted a node on my back near my shoulder blade that needed 'looking into'. I saw him the next week when he examined me and said rather than do a biopsy, he'd just remove it as the biopsy would need a General Anaesthetic because of where it was and its depth. I had the pre op assessment last week and got a call and letter to attend his clinic on Tuesday (12) to discuss the surgery and sign the consent forms etc. I'm so pleased you have started the new target drug on the market and they can manage your BP!

I see KT maybe has a similar blip! I do hope that's all it is KT, keep us posted! I hope you don't have to put your treatment on hold. Let's hope both your node and mine are both blips, maybe left over from our surgery in March. Sounds familiar, doesn't it!

Sending positive vibes to all (& me too!)!

Love Annette x

Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery, Today is a Gift!!!
  • Hi Annette,

goes well with removing the node . When are you having it done ?

it will be good to have it removed and good for you to know what you are dealing with. Hopefully will be all OK. 

love Ruth xxx

Ruth 

• Hi Ruth, In do not have a date for the surgery yet but will maybe know more after seeing the surgeon on Tuesday! At the pre-op assessment I was told the consultant was hoping to have this done before Christmas but you never know with the NHS. Their urgent and our urgent are two different things. The wheels of the NHS can work slowly especially coming up to the Festive Season. I will post here once I have any news!

We have been trying to play it down to our adult son and daughter but I don't think they're buying our positivity! Trouble is, the Internet throws out the bad and the good but it's the bad that sticks in their mind! I told them the Internet is out of date when it comes to medical things (which is true) and told them to ignore the if's and buts! However it is difficult once you've read something to just forget it!

Have a great weekend!

Love Annette x

• Hi everyone

Positivity is paramount in our situation. I could choose to be miserable and negative but I wouldn't be allowed to get away with it. Like Annette and Daloni, I enjoy the Autumn, for example the leaves of my Virginia Creeper turning a great rich crimson, gathering up fallen leaves (my wife does that bit) and putting them in builder's bags because I can't bear to dump them in the brown bin as in two years they'll be rich crumbly leaf mould, listening to the noise that only crisp dry fallen leaves make, we have a cock pheasant that is strutting in and around our garden, red Autumn berries on many trees and shrubs, I could go on and on......

There are little (and large) diy projects and maintenance jobs that give me a great sense of fulfillment, even cleaning the guttering (lucky we live in a bungalow though). 

On the subject of looking up the internet, my blood cancer is rare so it's hard to get much info but what we could find was an average prognosis of 6 months to 6 years which doesn't really tell me much. I wisely? thought to buy a few new big ticket household appliances to replace older ones that may break down shortly after my demise and give my wife extra worry, at this rate I'm going to have to start over again Slight smile

There are many ways to find happiness and positivity that amaze friends and family alike. Spending time with my new eclectic mix of friends after our Tuesday MacMillan exercise class is a bonus too, (are there any such classes run in GB or is it peculiar to NI?)  Whatever your simple likes can be enjoyable.

Keep happy and remember to have time to put a smile on someone's face Slight smile

Tvman xx

Love life and family.
  • I think it is better to wait and see what the operation histology says then you will know what you are dealing with.

the waiting is always hard. I find it helps if I have a date I know Imhave to wait for. So it will be easier when you have the operation date.

Expect you have learned like me you have to wait. I do em ail,my oncologist and ask him to email me the report so I am prepared with what I have to face when I meet up with him .

i don’t know if all doctors would,do,this. 

I do think once they have done the pre op assessment the operation should be done in a certain time otherwise rhe blood results etc will,be out of date.

i seem to be coping taking this new drug lenvatinib but have to check my BP regularly 

love Ruth x

Ruth 

• Hi Ruth You are correct. Once the pre op assessment is done, the surgery should take place fairly soon, maybe about six weeks but I'm not exactly sure of the exact time!

Love Annette x

• UPDATE!!!

I saw my surgeon on Tuesday where he did his final examination, explained everything again, that he wouldn't be able to do a biopsy using a local anaesthetic because of where the lump is in my back and said in his opinion (& mine) the best thing would be to remove the lump using a general anaesthetic, then send some to the lab for them to identify exactly what it is. I signed the Consent Forms and he said the possible date for surgery would be around Wednesday 27 Nov but I would get a letter from his secretary confirming the date.  This morning the letter of admission came in the post confirming 27/11 is the date for surgery!

Of course it's great he has arranged it so quickly but of course there's that little voice at the back of my head saying "why so quick"! I will be relieved when it is done but will have to wait until we get back from a five day break from 5 - 10 Dec to get the results which can take up to 3 weeks, although he said he would try to get them quicker if at all possible!

I do hope I'm only going to be back on the roller coaster for a short time but there's no point in worrying about it, what will be, will be!! I'm assuming I will have a quick recovery because the school Fayre is on Friday 29/11 at 6pm, our local Marie Curie Christmas Fayre is on Saturday 30/11, then we go to Gouldings Garden Centre in the Clyde Valley, on Sunday 1/12/ .  We have been going there since our first grandchild (who's now 7) had her first Christmas. All 3 grandchildren love it, as do our son, daughter and their spouses and of course my husband and I also love watching the children's faces! It's a great day out! I just hope I can last the pace!!! 

Love Annette x

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to anndanv

Dear Annette

Well I can see a quick recovery is indeed on the cards. Did you tell your surgeon he’ll be lucky to fit in to your hectic schedule? 

I hope the appointment date arrives soon so you can at least get that wait out of the way 

Lots of love 

xxx