YOU NEVER KNOW THE MINUTE!!!

• 149 replies
  • 49 subscribers

Hi Gang, Well the day before we went to Salou for a fortnight, I had my six month check after my spinal decompression op. They took an X-ray and the surgeon admired his metal handiwork which is now holding my spine together. He was very pleased and told me there would be no need to make a further appointment but I could phone his secretary if I started having problems. So off we went on holiday!  

When we got back, there was a letter from him asking me to contact his secretary to make an appointment as he now had the written report for the X-ray. I phoned and was told I'd need a CT scan which they had already booked for me as well as a further aptm for his clinic to discuss the results. The latter was last Monday 28th! On the X-ray & scan there was a shadow just at the bottom of my right shoulder blade. The consultant examined my back and felt a lump. He explained that he was going to take a biopsy to be sent away but after the scan, he said it was too deep to do it with a local anaesthetic so suggested surgery to remove it with a GA then they will send it for biopsy.

Next he said he had arranged to do the pre-op assessment there and then, which came as a bit of a shock as you can imagine!   However, that's it done and now it's just a case of waiting for a date to get it removed! I phoned his secretary once we got home, to tell here we had booked to go to Manchester from 5-10 Dec inclusive to see the Christmas Markets etc but I also said I didn't expect to get word as quick as that but was just letting her know anyway! We all know urgent can mean 6-12 weeks with the NHS, so I won't hold my breath!

So there you have it! I've had a few other lumps etc removed in the six years since stage4 dx but this is the first they can't do at the clinic with a local anaesthetic! Up until Monday we hadn't said anything about it to our son and daughter and to see "that look" again on their faces was heartbreaking! I'm trying to be upbeat about it, smiling and saying it could be nothing of course! Any prayers, I would be grateful for, they certainly can't hurt! This will be my eleventh surgery but you never get used to it! Take Care everyone!

• Hi Annette,

Well that wasn't what I was expecting to hear from you, what a shock.  Having said that it is good that your consultant or whoever's spotted this is on the ball and has done something about it.  One of the many problems with cancer is that it rarely leads to better news if you ignore it.

I hope that they can get your surgery organised soon but still allow you to enjoy the Christmas markets.  Sending love to you.

Gragon xx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to anndanv

Dear Annette, my bone break was also shoulder to elbow but left side, the surgery was a big success and it has healed up very nicely. Initially they didn’t want to operate but I insisted they do it. I hope you get to see your grandchildren’s nativity plays as planned, I’ve got fond memories of my infant school days flooding back to me and my homemade shepherds costume made out of a old sheet !!
    best wishes 

Jane 

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Ugh. Talk about giving with one hand and taking with the other! At least you had the good news before your holiday, and this new issue wasn't on your mind all the time.

Your consultant sounds very proactive, which is good, though I can appreciate your shock at the immediate pre-op assessment. I hope the rest of the process is as fast and as smooth. 

Good luck.

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi Annette

Well at least you had a holiday before being hit over the head with this particular kipper. Eleven surgeries, eh? I think you’re right to say that we never get used to it but I think we do get used to the routine. We know what questions they’ll ask, we know what sequence things will take, we know what the recovery room looks like. I think that takes some of the fear out. 

I really hope you’ll be able to make it to the market and the nativity plays. Knowing you, though, you’ll have something planned that you don’t want to miss whenever it’s scheduled for. That’s just how you roll, Annette. 

with lots of love and great big hugs xxxx

• Hi Gragon, I wasn't expecting to be posting that either, yes it was indeed a shock but I am so very lucky my consultants are on the ball! Thanks!

Love Annette x

Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery, Today is a Gift!!!
  • Hi Jane (Johnty) Yes the pin op I had was a success also. Last year our granddaughter wore one of our pillow cases, a coloured one, and I will never forget how good it looked on her when she was a wise man! I've noticed this Halloween most of the children are wearing shop bought outfits! It seems people have run out of ideas or time to make them!

Love Annette x

• Hi Daloni & AP7, Yes you are right about us having a good holiday before we heard this recent news! In Feb/Mar this year when we went on holiday, we knew I was coming back to have an op, so this time, ignorance was bliss!! I do remember in March going in for the spinal surgery when they started the admission procedure, I remember saying to myself "oh not again, what the hell Adam I doing here....run"!! But of course I didn't! Thank you both and everyone who has replied, I'm overwhelmed by your support and collecting ALL the hugs!

Love Annette x

• Hi Annette, I’m sorry to read you need a further op. I just wanted to pop in and wish you well.

Take care KT

• Hi KT, Thanks for your best wishes, I really appreciate it! I was at the hospital last week for my pre op assessment and have an appointment to see the surgeon this coming Tuesday (12). They do things a bit differently now, instead of signing the consent forms once you are admitted for your op and also speak to the surgeon about exactly what they are going to do etc. They now make an appointment in between the pre-op and the surgery. This is why I have to go to this appointment on Tues, then I will get a date for the op, all being well!

I just hope the op can be worked around my grandchildrens' (3) nativity plays as I'd hate to miss them!

How are you doing? It's a while since I saw you post here! I see you are still a C/Champion, good for you! It seems like another life when McM asked if I would like to be a CC but I felt what with treatment etc and the fact I use my iPad and not a computer, I thought it was too big a commitment to make, what with checking the site and several Groups, a few times a day!

Love Annette x

• Hi annette, oh that makes an extra visit for you, but I suppose it saves the surgeon time on the day of the op. Now 3 nativity plays for 3 grandchildren, now that’s just being greedy (only kidding).  I use my iPad to its a lot lighter to hold, I can’t do the links as well as on a laptop since the change of servers that they did but hey ho. When you read the requirements for a champ, it is not to onerous, I think you do the champ job in this group with many others without the badge annette.

How am I doing? well yesterday I had my scan, my bloods only appointment for Wednesday next week (before my Pembrolizumab treatment) has been changed to a consultants appointment, as I’ve flagged up a node that is growing near where I had my op in March. I am going to feel silly if it’s nothing but as I can feel something that’s grown from 2cm 2 weeks ago at the last appointment to 5cm, I’m getting myself ready for them stopping Pembro next week and having a discussion about possibly surgery or going back on Dabrafenib but with Tramatenib this time, or what ever their plan C is. I’ve quickly gone from feeling all clear to it affecting my walking and sitting. So another blip in the road waiting to be sorted. When I saw you posting about your blip I just had to post to wish you well, even if I’m a bit late. 

Best wishes

Take care KT