Paclitaxil (Taxol)

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 19 replies
  • 45 subscribers

Hi, This may have been asked many a time so forgive me if it has, but on offer probably Thursday (I've had a CT scan today following up with an oncology meeting this Thursday) will be the above drug as the next step from the Capecitabine I've been on for the past 8 months.  Gee reading up on the side affects has made me nervous.  I know that not everyone gets every side effect and I've responded fairly well to Palbociclib and the Capecitabine.  I just wondered if any of you have been on Taxol and if so what your experience of it was say at the beginning and then as you were on it over time.  

Kindness

Robyn xx

• Hi ROBYN, I've never had chemo because it doesn't work on my type of cancer but I just wanted to wish you luck on the new drug and hope you respond as well as some others who have posted they've been on it a while! That in itself gives you hope! Good luck!

Love Annette x

Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery, Today is a Gift!!!
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to anndanv

Thank you Ann.  It's so good isn't it hearing of others' positive responses.  Hope is a healing thought.  Much love, xx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to ownedbystaffies

Hi can anyone tell me what happens after 18 paclitaxel as re treatment? I get a scan soon see if it's working but just wondered what's next. Is it top ups every few weeks? At moment on weekly. Currently just had chemo 9 yest.

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

Hi  

I have Breast Cancer and went back to Exemestane which is an AI, a sort of hormone therapy. Been on that for a year now. 

• FormerMember

Hi I was on that drug for 5yrs when I first had breast cancer in 2012. I came of it and within 3 months got diagnosis with secondary cancer last year. Been on different treatments bit they didn't work so now every crossed for the Paclitaxel.

• FormerMember

Hi. 

I had just 5 cycles of Paclitaxel & Carboplatin back before I had my mastectomy. (How long ago that seems!) I had already lost my hair from the E/C chemo. Paclitaxel caused my nails to crack and split. They turned brown and peeled back layer by layer. Not painful, just ugly  - like little brown slates eroding on the ends of my fingers. 

My blood counts were thr real problem. I became borderline anaemic & neutropenic fairly quickly, & several times needed boosters of, I think, Filgrastim before I could continue. I also needed a blood transfusion at the end. But, aoart from the inconvenience of having to go to hospital for an i/v, I found it easier than Capecitabine.

Hope this helps.

• FormerMember

Hi! 

On the subject of nails, I was advised that keeping them covered with nail varnish can help. I reckoned there was nothing to lose so I’ve worn nail varnish through all three chemos I’ve had. My nails ended up with ridges and flaked a bit at the tips but they’ve stayed in pretty good shape. I used the varnishes that are allegedly more natural and breathable, such as Mavala and Nailberry. 

Xx

• FormerMember

Ditto for the nails, I had a manicure before each chemo session and had polish on my nails and had no problems with taxol, although my friend did, so I would definitively recommend the nail varnish tip.  If I have taxol again, my one thing to do would be to get my eye brows tattoeed before I start - I coped with the hair loss but hated the way I looked with no eyebrows. Xxx

• FormerMember

I hear you on the eyebrows, !

xx